Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GravSnap - Asteroid pull back and launch to hit the target

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MBrown42, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MBrown42

MBrown42

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I gotta ask - why the super duper long package name? The "com.LifeStampGames.GravitySnapAsteroidTossOrbitalSimulatorHitTheTarget"?

Is it like that in hopes it will help ASO or SEO somehow?

MBrown42 likes this.
  3. MBrown42

MBrown42

Yupper, a bunch of ASO optimization sites I've read up on more recently like this:
    https://www.quora.com/Does-the-pack...r-position-in-the-Play-Store-s-search-results
    included the package name as something to put keywords into. In a nutshell, of all the textual stuff you have control over in your Android store listing, the package name is the only one that CANNOT change after you create the app. ASO rankings change apparently very frequently, and the rules are a bit different than iOS which I don't do yet. App Annie has a good free tier keyword reporting tool that lets you do research, so the gist of what I read is do your research and then name your package, because you can't change it later. Find any apps that are similar to yours, and in my case I plan to later add a simulator so that has to go into the package name now.

Circool and MD_Reptile like this.
  4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hmm, I hadn't heard of such a thing - that is interesting. Thanks for explaining! And good luck :)

MBrown42 likes this.
  5. MBrown42

MBrown42

6. MBrown42

MBrown42

MD_Reptile likes this.
  7. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Obviously both the in-game art and GUI needs big improvement.
    The icon in the Google Play Store is weak to catch people eyes.
    The concept is a bit interesting, similar to Angry Bird Space.
    Now I know why the moon surfaces got so many craters.:D

MBrown42 likes this.
  8. MBrown42

MBrown42

Thank you for the feedback! Burning out on the UI in the previous game apparently shows. Perhaps I should have stated a legal disclaimer that I can't do art? :rolleyes: Point taken. I'll have to check out Angry Birds Space more, and forge ahead with not letting slick releases from giant game studios with tons of resources kill my ambition.

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  9. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

It does not matter. Players won't care about you and how it was developed.
    As long as your final product does not catch players eyes, they will just pass.
    Ya. This is the reality. Unless you only make games for your friends.

Additionally, actually it is not an excuse too.
    I also don't know coding at start. Totally zero programming knowledge.
    I learn all those basic: int, string[], enum, get() set(), +=, (A > B) ? true : false... etc...
    Then void functions(), inheritance, custom class, struct, delegates, and more.
    After some hard time of self taught, now I can make mini games like yours individually.
    Good thing is, now I can see the whole project in a more general point of view.
    Since I know programming already, I know how to coordinate between art and coding...
    To achieve next level of quality. Totally worth it.

You still have a long way to go...
    Keep it up...Yo.;)

MD_Reptile and MBrown42 like this.
  10. MBrown42

MBrown42

Thanks for the feedback! I start with code; Priorities are a better word than excuse, like any business work must be managed and prioritized to deliver maximum value and make a cut.
    Good operations speak to planned future releases with improvements spread across the board, in either of the two halves you speak to - code and art.
    ( I would argue there is a third component; the overall scalability and potential depth of the game design, but that is another discussion :) )

Good games have both; you speak truth!

For anyone interested, here is how I made the UI buttons look better.
    Note this uses Photoshop (older version), hopefully not too off topic for the admins.

First, open Photoshop and create a new canvas with transparency. I used 800 X 300.
    Use the rectangular marquee (selection) tool and draw a rectangle.
    Then go to Selection->Modify->Smooth to round the corners
    Then pick the paint bucket tool and fill in the selection, here I used purple-ish
    1_makeRectangle_smooth_paint.png

Then right click on this layer and do "Blending Options"
    First, add an Outer Glow, then a Bevel and Emboss.
    Followed by a Color OverLay and Color Gradient
    Try to use colors that are opposite on the color wheel from your painted color, or on another spoke of a "triangle" on the color wheel if you've got 3.
    2_outerGlow_bevelEmboss_colorOverlay.png

Now save it as a transparent png File->Save For Web:
    Be sure the transparency is checked and use the Bicubic smooth quality setting.
    3_saveForWeb.png

Save it into your unity project under Assets somewhere, and then make sure it is set to sprite in the inspector
    4_importIntoUnity.png

Here's a comparison of the old and new main menu buttons, looks a lot better! I also used this technique and some others that took way more time to improve the store icon, still need to make another revision but its definitely progress. Updates have been posted to Android and submitted for iOS review before publishing.
    oldNew.png

Thanks for your time!
    Matt Brown, http://www.LifeStampGames.com

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    MD_Reptile likes this.
  11. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Correct, but make sure first release is reached current generation standard as well.
    I'm not talking about how fancy or realistic, but how solid the game is.
    People will forget your game immediately if nothing stand out. First impression.

For me, I always use power of 2 resolution for every kind of images.
    In this button case, maybe I will open up 1024 x 256 instead. Good for CPU.
    And I realize you got many alpha space around the button, quite wasted.

Hmm... It looks nothing different to me. Both also not reaching quality standard.
    Beautiful art is not about more effects, sometimes simplicity is good too.
    I suggest you to learn about color pairs and color combos.
    Just search color pairs in Google with images.

Last edited: May 16, 2019