Search Unity

Gravity Simulation always pulls objects toward a single point

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Littlelumos, May 7, 2019.

1. Littlelumos

Littlelumos

I am trying to simulate gravity for a game. I am testing my gravity system using a sphere like a planet and cubes, to test the gravity, but all of the cubes accumulate towards the horizontal centre of the sphere. Is there any way I can solve this as it makes it less realistic?

This is the code that I have attached to the sphere (planet):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public float pullRadius;
    2.     public float pullForce;
    4.     public void FixedUpdate()
    5.     {
    6.         foreach (Collider coll in Physics.OverlapSphere(transform.position, pullRadius))
    7.         {
    8.             if (coll != this)
    9.             {
    10.                 Vector3 forceDirection = transform.position - coll.transform.position;
    11.                 coll.transform.Translate(forceDirection.normalized * pullForce * Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    12.             }
    13.         }
    14.     }
    upload_2019-5-7_22-10-21.png
    Thanks.

2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. The picture doesn't seem to show any accumulation, since there's only one cube in it. Could you elaborate a bit?

I did notice something odd, though:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (coll != this)
    I'm pretty sure that this will always evaluate to true, since this isn't even a Collider. It looks like you're trying to avoid the attractive body applying gravity to itself, which could be done like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. thisCollider = GetComponent<Collider>();
    3. //...
    5. if (coll != thisCollider)
    6. {
    7.     //...
    8. }
    On the other hand, applying gravity to itself would always give a 0 vector, so it wouldn't have any effect. I'm not sure whether it's actually worth screening self-gravitation, because there might be more overhead when running GetComponent depending on how you use it.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.