Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Grass Textures and Detail Meshes in Beta 2018.3.0b10, 11, 12 and f1 aren't rendered.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by tr_lineas, Dec 11, 2018.

1. tr_lineas

tr_lineas

Note: I already posted this in the beta forum. Was advised to post it here.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/una...n-in-beta-2018-3-0b10-and-2018-3-0b11.587086/

I'm unable to draw grass textures or detail meshes on any terrain. Or at least it doesn't get rendered.

I have tried various combinations of brush size, opacity, target strength, detail distance etc. I even tried to add details via script. Nothing worked. No error messages are printed. It says "One or more selected brushes are read-only" in terrain inspector though.

When disabling billboard on the grass texture settings pink squares are being rendered.

Steps to reproduce:
    - Create Terrain in Unity 2018.3.0b10, 2018.3.0b11, 2018.3.0b12 or 2018.3.0f1 with HDRP
    - Update HDRP (up to 4.3.0)
    - Add a Grass Texture or detail mesh
    - Try to paint

I don't seem to be the only one with the problem. There are at least 2 posts in "Graphics Experimental Previews"

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-terrain-details-wont-render.582034/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-grass-and-terrain-tools.594415/

and one on the Unity3D subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/a3z7cu/hdrp_grass/

Jason-Michael likes this.
  2. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

Is this fixed in the release version of 2018.3?

EDIT: this is still happening with the release version.

Does anyone have a workaround that doesnt require to place grass as trees?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue that grass/details don't work in HDRP at the moment. We have a bug case open for this.

"One or more selected brushes are read-only" - this just means that you can't edit that particular brush preset/asset. It's part of the engine's built-in resources

ROBYER1 and GameDevCouple like this.
  4. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

Do you have a workaround for now? If there is a way to make a compatible shader in shadergraph or by hand and get the terrain to use that for now, then that would suffice! Even if you can only give super high level advice on that matter, it would help me and a lot of others who in the meantime need this! :)

5. ezerai

ezerai

I'm looking for workaround as well, I wasn't able to get it to work with shadergraph shaders as well...

6. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

@wyatttt would you be able to direct us on what is required to get some sort of grass working using shadergraph, or using anything for that matter?

This is the only thing stopping us testing HDRP with projects, currently stuck on LWRP because of this

7. ChrisTchou

ChrisTchou

Unity Technologies

Currently the detail shaders are looked up by name, so if you create your own shader with the same name, it will override the built in one. So for HDRP, you would probably want to combine the existing detail shader vertex behavior and the HDRP lit pixel behavior.

The specific shaders used are named:
    "Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/WavingDoublePass"
    "Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/BillboardWavingDoublePass"
    "Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/Vertexlit"

Note that this override happens globally, ignoring what your active render pipeline is. For example, even if you disable HDRP as your active pipeline, it will continue to try to use the overridden shaders, and won't work properly for the built-in renderer. We are fixing this soon by making the detail shader lookup go through the SRP resource, instead of a global name search.

mr-Fox and GameDevCouple like this.
  8. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

Thanks a bunch this is exactly the info we needed to stop blocking progress, thanks again!

And I look forward to the fix

9. tr_lineas

tr_lineas

Thanks for the info.

Detail Meshes dont't get rendered with LWRP either though.

10. GameDevCouple

GameDevCouple

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  11. tr_lineas

tr_lineas

Simple Objects (Quad, Imported Models) get drawn. Composed Objects or Prefabs don't.

GameDevCouple likes this.
  12. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Any updates on this?

13. jRocket

jRocket

Still broken in 2019 beta. Unbelievable.

URPian and D3m0n like this.
  14. mr-Fox

mr-Fox

Сurrently this is in RenderPipelineResources. Just little bit wrong to setting not working shader by default

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      11.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  15. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Any updates on this? Can I paint Detail Meshes that are Prefabs in HDRP?
    Currently, all the Details that I paint are just Pink. They are a Prefab with an HDRP/Lit Material and MeshRenderer.
    @ChrisTchou @wyatttt

AlexanderAlza likes this.
  16. AlexanderAlza

AlexanderAlza

I'm on 2919.1.9f1 and I'd like to second Sonorpearl's question. Details Meshes still showing up as pink.

I'm also noticing that with detail meshes it doesn't like it if I have a Prefab parent node, this makes it so I can't have LODs on my Detail Meshes correct? anyone else encounter this or know the current workaround?

ROBYER1 and Sonorpearl like this.
  17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Having the same issue with detail meshes showing as pink, holding up development on a project at the moment too as we can't find a fix!

AlexanderAlza and Sonorpearl like this.
  18. D3m0n

D3m0n

Same problem on 2019.2.5f1....

19. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I reported a bug for it also

URPian likes this.
  20. Karasu416

Karasu416

Still having this issue in 2019.3.7f1 at the moment.
    Also now getting the error message "The current render pipeline does not have all detail shaders". Any updates?

21. KevalrOxy

KevalrOxy

I just took a sneak peek at 2020.1.0b, which of course is Beta, but the problem still exists there. So from 2018... till now, this problem has existed. Is it that difficult to paint detail meshes on the terrain. I'm actually using 2019.4 HDRP for my project atm, and was holding out for this, but it doesn't look like it's going to be resolved any time soon. May have to jump platforms, which is a real shame. I've also tried to use the shader graph with the detail mesh / terrain system, and there are serious issues with that too. If you have a terrain based game and need foilage of any type... then don't use HDRP... I can't comment on whether it works in URP or not... but you can always try, I guess.

22. quixotic

quixotic

Unity Technologies

Detail Rendering for HDRP is being worked on (work started pretty recently). We don't have a timeline on when this will land. We are also hiring, as we know additional work is needed here (job description - share if you know anyone that might be a fit).

unityunity