Search Unity

Grass Painting Terrain Bug

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jaschieffer, May 5, 2019.

1. jaschieffer

jaschieffer

Since I have updated to Unity 2019 I am experiencing issues when painting grass on the terrain. This terrain was working normally in the latest previous 2018 version. When I paint with full target strength and opacity only a few grass blades are painted. I know that this is not a detail density setting because I turned the setting all the way up. Also grass that was painted prior to the update is full of grass and when I try to paint over it with my brush at full opacity and target strength it replaces that patch with very little vegetation. Is anybody else having this issue? Is there anything I can do or is this a Unity bug?

Example attached.

Attached Files:

2. jaschieffer

jaschieffer

Here is a video to give some clarification.

3. N163LPH03N1X

N163LPH03N1X

Getting the same thing, been messing with the settings for and hour now target strength is max and is painting in small patches. Unity 2019.2.0

4. Woolf

Woolf

Unity 2019.2 I have the same problem. Increasing the resolution of detail (up to 4096) helps to partially solve the problem, but it greatly reduces FPS. Need help

5. noahberkley

noahberkley

This is still an issue for me. Have any Unity rep gotten a chance to look into this problem?

6. Kojote

Kojote

Got the same problem. Is there a solution in the meantime?

7. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

It appears I have the opposite problem of what's discussed here. In the latest version of Unity I'm finding that my painted grass is much more dense that what I expected it to be, which is causing workflow issues.

My theory I got used to painting in 2019.2 while this "hidden target strength" was lowered, but the latest Unity version 2019.3 reverted it back to how it was before. So now I'm painting at what really should be the "correct density" but it's causing inconsistencies with my paints from before the upgrade. So to be clear about what's going on here: there is target strength multiplier which is not exposed to the user that adjusts the strength of painting beyond just what the value says in the terrain tool. I have tested this across multiple versions of Unity.

Now you'd think that this wouldn't be a problem, since if it has increased by a factor of say 5, then I can just divide my previous target strength by 5 and get the same results as before. But that's no longer the case. When they updated this hidden value, they also locked the user's target strength into fixed intervals. Now, .0625 is the lowest you can go, so the even the lowest target strength is unable to replicate the results from 2019.2. This change of the hidden strength wouldn't be an issue if I could just move the strength value lower, but so far I haven't found a way to do that.

This issue would be fixed if they could just unlock the target strength value like it was before, allowing you to type in any number and factor in this change in hidden strength. I tried to see if there was a way to extend the paint tool and maybe unlock the value myself, see here. But I have no clue what approach I should take with this. I'm open to any suggestions.

Unity 2019.3 appears to have reverted the hidden target strength as explained above. Try it out and see if that fixes your issue.

8. Kojote

Kojote

@SomeGuy22 A bit late, but thanks for the detailed answer.;)

I am forced to change from 2018 to 2019.4.15 after all. Hope that my grass is still like I had it on 2018 after the update.:eek: