Search Unity

Feedback GraphView Performance Issues on Retina Macbooks (All Unity Versions)

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by TeorikDeli, Nov 17, 2019.

1. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Hi!

There is a big performance problems on Macs related to GraphView. This especially happens on Mac's retina screen and I think I found the reason; it's the anti aliasing & retina resolution.

When I am working connected to a 1080p screen, performance is good enough to work (not great, but easily workable); but whenever I work on my macbook's retina screen, the performance of the graph window drops to ~10 FPS kinda level (shader graph or any other custom thing that uses graphview, for example this). I cannot found a solution for the shader graph; but when I am working with a custom graphview, I find opening an undocked window doesn't start AA so I can easily use the graphview. But, when I dock the window or change any script (this triggers to recompile the project), the graphview starts antialiasing and the performance problems starts again.

I don't have a problem with the inspector elements with UIElements (I am not seeing any difference than the old IMGUI positively or negatively), but I am suffering while using any GraphView window. =/

This is happens with Unity 2018.x, 2019.x (betas too) and 2020.1 on Macbook pro 2015 (yeah, I know it's not great, but this kind of performance issues related to UI shouldn't be exist in my opinion).

So, is there any plans to improve the performance of the GraphView? And is there anything that I can help with?

I am adding two screenshots (with and without AA) to show what I am trying to mean. This is a custom GraphView window. Performance is exactly the same with ShaderGraph while AA is active.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 17.27.58.png Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 17.26.53.png

florianhanke likes this.
  2. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting, this is not a hardware configuration that we use a lot internally.

We enable MSAA on GraphView windows because this is currently the only antialiasing method that UIElements support. However, we are currently working on antialiasing techniques without MSAA. If successful, we should be able to disable MSAA on all GraphView windows.

TeorikDeli likes this.