Search Unity

Graphing Data From Custom Events

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by QFSW, Apr 10, 2015.

1. QFSW

QFSW

Hi, I understand that the custom events are something which are still being developed and improved on

What I am doing is sending a custom event for Death whenever the player dies, it records how long they survived and their score

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityAnalytics.CustomEvent("Death", newDictionary<string, object>
    2. {
    3. { "Lifetime", Lifetime },
    4. { "Score", (int)Master.gameObject.GetComponent<SessionScript>().score-n}
    5. });
    What I would like to do then is to be able to plot some graphs from this data. Things like box plots to show the distribution of score and playtime, and I would also like to do a scatter graph to see if there is any link between how long the player lives on one life, and how much score they get (logic would say it should positively linear, but I have a difficulty curve which increases with total score and lifetime, and from my own personal experience its not quite what it seems, so i'd like to see what the data says).

I understand this may not be possible in the current system

Visualisations or the ability to plot graphs and have them update them selves within Unity Analytics (a new dashboard section called graphs for example like you have funnels) would be amazing and preferable, however I understand this might not be a priority or maybe not feasible

If there is a way to access the raw data and export it as a .csv, this would also work. It would not be as preferable or as good as the first suggestion, but would still allow us to do whatever we want with the data (such as graphing) in an external software

Many thanks in advanced

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    SeashellsRacer likes this.
  2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi QFSW!

Raw data export is a much-requested feature and on the roadmap. The idea of allowing other charting visualizations is of course something we'll always consider. I'll make sure this gets added to our list of requested features.

3. QFSW

QFSW

Great! Thanks for the prompt and informative response!

I assume the answer is yes, but will data collected before the functionality is added still be viewable in a raw firm once it's implemented

I look forwards to the upcoming development as I'm sure many others are!

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Probably.

Obviously, the ideal intent of raw data is to give you back exactly what you send us...and we're not throwing away old data so it's theoretically possible. That said, I'm reluctant (or, more accurately, terrified) to promise anything before a feature is complete, as some unforeseen limitation can always mess things up. That's as close to a confirmation as I can come right now. :)

5. QFSW

QFSW

Yeah that makes complete sense, no one knows exactly how it could go down because no body has planned out how exactly every little bit of it is going to work for its lifetime!
    Thank you for the informative responses and the prompt support :)