Search Unity

Graphicspower on the Macbook...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, May 31, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yeah... It sucks. I would much have preferred if they had kept the R9000....

Still, if you're into casual games, you likely need to support even lower specs (like previous generation Intel Extreme cards)

3. taumel

taumel

I'll never understand why Apple is so lame regarding graphics...

As for the casual games you can't say this as a general rule as it depends on the project and your target audience.

Anyway it's annoying on the mac platform.

4. Morgan

Morgan

No bottom-end laptop is a 3D artist's or gamer's dream machine, but I'm curious about the real-world performance of Unity on the bottom-end Intel Macs. Core Solo + integrated graphics is now the bottom end for casual games on NEWLY bought Macs.

5. Rincewind

Rincewind

Take a look at cheap €600 PC-laptops. Do you see any that doesn't have Intel integrated graphics? The MacBook is Apple's version of a cheap laptop.

While I do agree it sucks badly, Intel itself creates the motherboards for the laptops and it's very logical for them to slap their own graphics solution whenever they can. However, I'm quite hopeful of GMA 965 coming later on this year, which should finally have hardware vertex processing. It should be comparable at least to a Radeon 9200.

6. taumel

taumel

>>>Take a look at cheap €600 PC-laptops. Do you see any that doesn't have Intel integrated graphics? The MacBook is Apple's version of a cheap laptop. <<<

Why should i compare to a €600 pc laptop when the apple powerbooks cost €1100-€1500? And believe me in this price range i do get a far better graphics card...

>>>While I do agree it sucks badly, Intel itself creates the motherboards for the laptops and it's very logical for them to slap their own graphics solution whenever they can. However, I'm quite hopeful of GMA 965 coming later on this year, which should finally have hardware vertex processing. It should be comparable at least to a Radeon 9200.<<<

They simply lack the "i want a better graphics card inside my computer" option beside of that they never should have used the G950...

Hey Steve Jobs are you reading this?! Your graphics solutions suck! And i bet that you're total aware of this! :O)

Regards,

taumel

7. Rincewind

Rincewind

Slap a better graphics card and the cost of "high end" MacBook is almost equivalent of MacBook Pro. That's what I meant with my comment. MacBook is the low end of cheap laptops, from which you pay the usual "Apple is better and comes with awesoma software"-fee.

I once read Steve had said a comment that "he doesn't want a Mac to be a toy" during a discussion about gaming.

8. taumel

taumel

>>>I once read Steve had said a comment that "he doesn't want a Mac to be a toy" during a discussion about gaming.<<<

Well, bad news for otee then... ;O)

But beside of games there are enough other fields where a good graphics card is needed for. Think of all the different simulations, client based presentations and so on...it doesn't make sense - at least not from a consumers point of view and when you don't know all the dirty little contract lines between Intel and Apple .

Regards,

taumel

9. Morgan

Morgan

I think Apple's choice probably DOES make sense for what low-end laptop buyers demand. Judging by other laptops from other companies, a full GPU is not something people generally expect at the bottom end.

Note that Jobs' comment about the Mac not being seen as a toy is decades old--back when the Mac had a mouse and DOS didn't and people DID think the tiny graphical Mac was toylike. The comment says nothing about Apple's current business. In fact, they've been hiring OpenGL and game programmers for some time, for reasons unknown.

Don't forget the bright side: ATI/nVidia options will get cheaper and smaller, while Intel graphics will get faster. No matter what, it only gets better from here on out.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Well, OpenGL is really easy to explain. Most of Mac UI is actually drawn and composited on the GPU; CoreImage can use GPU; and even something like PhotoBooth uses GPU to do video effects in realtime, etc. You need some OpenGL people to implement that.