Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics: RenderDoc graphics debugger integrated with Unity Editor

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by pvloon, Oct 11, 2015.

1. pvloon

pvloon

Sounds exciting, but... what does this actually mean? Just better integration with RenderDoc in some way? are there docs on how to get it running?

2. unity_baldurk

unity_baldurk

Unity Technologies

Hi! I was going to post something about this on Monday, I didn't realise the beta would be out today :). If you're already using RenderDoc then the integration pretty much just makes it easier to use, but the workflow is about the same.

Note: You'll need at least the latest stable RenderDoc version 0.26 installed. If you want to capture on OpenGL rather than Direct3D 11, the are some critical bugfixes in the latest nightly builds.

Here's an extract from the docs to give you an idea:
    ----

If a RenderDoc installation is detected, then at any time after loading the Editor you can right click on the tab for the Game View] or Scene View and click the 'Load RenderDoc' option. This will reload the graphics device so you must save any changes, but afterwards RenderDoc will be ready to capture without having to restart the editor or build a standalone player.

Note: You can also launch the Editor via RenderDoc as normal, or pass the -load-renderdoc command line option to load RenderDoc from startup.

When a compatible version of RenderDoc is detected as loaded into the Editor, a new button will appear on the right side of the toolbar on the Game and Scene Views.

Pressing this button will trigger a capture of the next frame of rendering for the view. If the RenderDoc tool UI has not been opened, a new instance will be launched to show the capture, and if it is already running the newest capture will automatically appear there. From there you can open the capture and debug using the tool.

codestage and shkar-noori like this.
  3. movra

movra

Aha, I had an old installation. When I clicked Load RenderDoc there were text overlays over each editor panel saying "Inactive swapchain. F11 to cycle between swapchains". Updating RenderDoc fixed that and caused the RenderDoc program to launch.

4. unity_baldurk

unity_baldurk

Unity Technologies

Yes, I added a new API for applications into RenderDoc version 0.26, which is how I was able to implement the editor integration into Unity. It will still load up RenderDoc in older versions, but as you saw you'll get text overlays all over the place and you have to manually cycle to the right window and capture by keypress.

5. liortal

liortal

Is RenderDoc available for OSX as well ?

6. unity_baldurk

unity_baldurk

Unity Technologies

No, it's not available for OSX currently. It's unclear if I'll support it in the future, as currently I need more GL support than OSX provides, so it depends on if that improves or if I write fallback code.

7. pvloon

pvloon

That's really cool, thanks for the write up baldurk :)