Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics problems with Catalina

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skittlebrau, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Skittlebrau

Skittlebrau

On Macs with discrete AMD gpus, our game gets a kernel panic and reboots if we have Metal enabled. If we disable Metal support in project settings, we often get corruption in fullscreen/windowed fullscreen, which looks exactly like this report for ONI: https://forums.kleientertainment.co...th-full-screen-mode-on-macos-catalina-r22388/

We are using Unity 2019.2.8f1, though I'm fairly sure this is an Apple/AMD bug in the driver, but I'm wondering whether other people have had similar issues and have found any workarounds. The "run in low resolution" flag you can set in Finder as mentioned in the ONI forum does seem to work for us, but this is not great since it requires the end user to know how to do this.

2. Skittlebrau

Skittlebrau

By experiment it seems like the poorly documented "Mac Retina Support" checkbox in project settings might do the same thing as "run in low resolution" checkbox in Finder, but then this locks everyone into low resolutions, whether needed or not, so that's not ideal either.

3. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

What are your machine specs ? We have seen several kernel panics on 10.15 with older MacBooks using non-vega GPUs. The solution to this has been making sure you are running the most updated version of 10.15

4. Skittlebrau

Skittlebrau

This has happened on a bunch of machines (most we've tested on are Macbook pros I think), but I'm not sure of all the specs right now. My own (which repros this problem) is a 15-inch Macbook pro, late 2016 with Radeon Pro 460. I am running 10.15.2, which as far as I can tell is the latest release.

andrews_unity and JoeStrout like this.
  5. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

10.15.3 should be the latest version of macOS can you verify on that.