Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics | Near Clipping Planes of 0.01 cause visual artifacts in Lightrange (zbuffer)

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Quatum1000, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi,

Near Clipping Planes of 0.01 cause visual artifacts if the cam is placed in any light range.
    > 0.01 did not. It's not an heavy issue but if you got it, it's good to know why.

Untitled-1.jpg

2. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

And I got Hard Edged Shadows only, not matter of setting soft shadows enabled.
    Untitled-2.jpg

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's a really close near clip plane. With 1 unit = 1 meter, that's a clipping plane of 1 centimeter.

Z-buffers are non-linear - they give more resolution closer to the camera (with the idea being that things that are closer to you should be more accurate. So with a near clipping plane of 0.01, you're concentrating all the resolution really close to the camera, and starving everything else. It's always good practice to push the Near Plane out as far as your game will allow.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But that's partly the change in 5.5 - to give a more linear zbuffer with decent resolution from close to far.

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

I stand corrected. I would note however, that this only increases the resolution, doesn't give it infinite resolution, and is only supported on DX11+ and Metal. :)

6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens