Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Errors and Hangs only on Intel Integrated Graphics Machines

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by msilver, Jul 8, 2019.

1. msilver

msilver

Hi, Sometime since the 2019 version of Unity I've noticed that I get a series of errors in my build on Windows 7, 32 Bit Machines. That is, the game runs fine and correctly on recent Windows computers but when the same build is run on a Windows 7, 32 Bit machine there are errors.

How can I resolve this? I'm attaching screenshots to show some of the visual errors. And eventually the game just crashes on Win7 32 bit.

EDIT: This bug seems to occur on Intel Integrated Graphics card machines with Windows 7, Windows 8.1, 32 and 64 bit.

ERROR VERSION:
    image_2019_07_07T00_48_01_475Z.png

CORRECT VERSION:
    Screenshot 2019-07-08 16.56.30.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What's the player log from that specific computer say? You sure you're not running out of memory?

3. msilver

msilver

I don't have the log, but I'll get it ASAP. I'm about 99% sure its not memory. I just fixed a memory leak and was being really careful about memory, the thing uses 300mb of ram.

4. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

I'd generally just recommend to only have 64bit builds, literally all hardware in current days supports it.

Joe-Censored and anileapen05 like this.
  5. msilver

msilver

A member of our Dev Team has an old machine and it would be tough to replace it. If Unity does not support 32 Bit then we can try to deal with it, but the best option is to use the supported 32 bit export.

Edit: Also, the game is on Steam Early Access, so if I drop support for 32 bit I'm gonna have a bunch of users who lose the game they bought already.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. anileapen05

anileapen05

Y does it show yellow bottom half ?
    did something turn off ?
    please post video of correct version & error version side by side or 1 after the other

7. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Hey!

The screenshot looks like z fighting .. could the main image is being clipped by the camera for whatever reason? Is the UI just a standard UI Canvas, or is it made from 2d planes or something like that? To eliminate some stuff, I'd say try changing camera clip values just for fun (near/far clipping), make sure there is no possibility of overlapping stuff.

As for the crashing, though, I've no idea! Phew where to begin? Could be a graphics card thing, an incompatibility with newer Unity .. ?

If there are any errors in the console logs, could really do with seeing those. See if you can get the log files from the test machine and see if there are any clues in there?

Hope you manage to sort it. Good luck, man.

8. msilver

msilver

The scene is a series of quad game objects that are overlapping with textures mapped to fill up the screen space coords in a shader. But just to be clear, the bad version also has issues with the star's clothing shader as well. I used the same system in older versions of unity and it worked correctly, also it works correctly on Windows 10 - 64 bit machines and I use texture render layers to sort the z issues as well as the depth buffer. Could Z-Fighting appear in only a 32 bit build?

Also, I got the log files, which still have some caveman debugging lines I put in there. The user who reported the bug says the game doesn't hard crash, it just hangs and she has to terminate the program in the task manager.

@anileapen05 we don't have video of the error version, but again, this same code worked correctly in earlier versions of Unity.

EDIT: I'm hearing now that this bug occurs on 64 bit windows 7 machines too? Will report more as we try it on different machines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Yeah those logs don't tell us much do they? Gah! I'm thinking its related to the 32 bit and there's some mad stuff going on with those shaders, but I don't know enough about shaders to know how that would come about sorry man.

The thing I don't know about is the crashing - could it be related or just coincidence?

Looks like this could be a related issue, but it's from an older post - certainly similar rendering side effects and, looking at the player logs, they're both running Intel onboard graphics chips .. ?? .. https://forum.unity.com/threads/graphics-problem-in-games-made-with-unity.488544/

Talking of Intel Graphics chips, here's some recent (february this year) stuff about Intels and Unity crashing .. not sure if it's the same but it's all I've managed to dig up about this kind of problem so far .. https://forum.unity.com/threads/problems-with-intel-hd-graphics-causing-crashes.635704/

10. msilver

msilver

Yes, it is intel integrated graphics. This is an old machine and the game is really low resources to run so I want to support these old beasts. I'll read more about the links.

I'm trying to dig up an old laptop that runs windows 7 to see if I can get more info on it. One sec and thank you all for helping.

Just wanted to attach this image of the BUG in a different case where the orange took over another quarter of the screen:
    image_2019_07_07T01_13_04_085Z.png

11. msilver

msilver

@anilapen05 - First of all, Some of the quads I render are in front of the characters and some are in back, so I'd have to make different cameras for each layer. And secondly, that may be how you would code it, but why would the game hang/have orange blocks just because of the camera use and only on windows 7?

12. msilver

msilver

I'm looking into updating the affected machine's graphics drivers and PRAYING LIKE HELL THAT FIXES IT.

13. PetrisPeper

PetrisPeper

@msilver yeah, intel iGPUs are crashing with unity, that has to with them don't having VRAM on their own

14. anileapen05

anileapen05

Any luck ?

15. msilver

msilver

Tried updating the drivers today to the latest ones from intel gotten here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Same errors: weird graphics and hanging on shutdown. I'm in the process of downgrading to Unity 2018, which means I have to remake all the game's prefabs. I'll post later once I complete that. Thanks for the help so far! I'll keep you posted if it does or does not work.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  16. msilver

msilver

AntiSilence likes this.
  17. AntiSilence

AntiSilence

I totally missed the "This message is harmless" part of that thread :eek:

18. msilver

msilver

I have downgraded the build to Unity 2018.3.7f1 32 bit and get the same errors on the affected computers. So now my only thought is that its using too much video memory on the affected computers?