Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Graphics editing apps?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by tclancey, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tclancey

tclancey

Hi there.

It's been a long time since I spent hours drawing sprite sheets and icons, I've been rendering UI elements in blender for a while, but I'm finding myself needing to make up a bunch of sprites once again.

I used to have a couple of icon editors which were limited in terms of automated effects, but were really easy to use. These don't run very well on W10, they ancient so it's not surprising.

I have Gimp, a bunch of Corel stuff including Painter and a few other things I've downloaded over the last year or so, all good at what they do but none are any good at pixel based editing.

Just wondering what editing software you folks are using, especially you guys and gals doing the superb 2d animation work.

Many thanks.

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Pixel based editing? Could you go into more detail what you mean?

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Last I checked, Cosmigo Pro Motion worked fine on Win10, and for many people its a/the top of the line pixel art software. There is also a thing from Nevercenter called Pixelmash that has some nice features, although some of them cross into what purists would consider no longer being "real" pixel art, in case that matters to you.

I personally am currently using Blender for most of my stuff. I also use Photoshop as needed, and if I end up needing real curved gradients for something, I'll have to pull out Illustrator(its the only thing I know that can do proper gradients along paths).

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

I've heard from many people that Aseprite is good for this sort of thing, but never tried it. You mentioned Corel- Corel Photopaint is what I use. If you already have that, it should have everything you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.