Search Unity

Graphics.CopyTexture then GetPixels

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by CDF, Jul 11, 2017.

1. CDF

CDF

Just going to assume that copying a RenderTexture to a Texture2D using CopyTexture doesn't give access to the pixel data on the Texture2D object?

Because that's what I'm seeing. All color data, when using texture.GetPixel after the copy is:
    (0.804, 0.804, 0.804, 0.804)

if I don't call texture.Apply() after the copy, then visualizing the texture in something like GUI.DrawTexture looks correct. However, after calling Apply, I can see the texture is just a semi-transparent white block.

Guess I'll stick to RenderTexture.active if this is desired behaviour...

AbleArcher likes this.
  2. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

I am also wondering about this.

I am calling Graphics.CopyTexture to copy data from a RenderTexture to a Texture2D and then trying to use Get/SetPixels to manipulate the pixel data.
    Is this not allowed?

AbleArcher likes this.
  3. grizzly

grizzly

Texture2D data can live in both CPU and GPU memory. Graphics.CopyTexture works on the GPU side while Set/GetPixels work on the CPU side. These copies are unsynchronised so changes made to one will not automatically appear in the other.

4. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

So how do I get the pixel data from GPU memory to CPU memory?

5. grizzly

grizzly

You can set your RenderTexture to be the active target and read from it. Something like this;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderTexture.active = renderTexture;
    2. Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(renderTexture.width, renderTexture.height);
    3. tex.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, renderTexture.width, renderTexture.height), 0, 0);
    4. tex.Apply();

6. brianasu

brianasu

Just a warning this can be very slow because the GPU/CPU have to sync up.

Covfefeh likes this.
unityunity