Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics: Asynchronous GPU readback API

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by pavelkouril, May 4, 2018.

1. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

Hello,

I saw that the 2018.2 changelog includes a "Graphics: Asynchronous GPU readback API" line, but no specification of supported platforms.

I know that previously only DX11/DX12 was supported; which platforms are supported in 2018.2, since the changelog doesn't specify the platforms? Or are all supported now, including Android and iOS?

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    All platforms except Metal and OpenGL are supported. Metal support is currently being worked on and is aimed to be included within the 2018.2 beta cycle. There are currently no plans to add support for OpenGL.

There's also a graphics caps to query whether the feature is supported on the platform: SystemInfo.supportsAsyncGPUReadback

3. gwiasdeczka2

gwiasdeczka2

Is it not possible to support OpenGL ES? or you don't have time? The beauty of Unity was always transparency. I didnt have to care about whether something is supported or not. By checking SystemInfo flags I am forced to do 2 implementations and test both. If I cannot use async gpu on opengl es that means I will have to implement a different solution which means I do not need that feature at all. Please consider adding support for all platforms.

Menion-Leah, Arkade and JesOb like this.
  4. Vander-Does

Vander-Does

@LeonhardP any update on iOS support? It doesn't look like its in 2018.2 beta yet.

5. Andrius-Keidonas

Andrius-Keidonas

Grand Inquisitor Unity Technologies

Hi there, I'm responsible for metal api implementation of Async Readback.
    It's fully complete, but it's still in the pipes to reach mainstream branches of Unity, so hold on - it's coming soon.

Vander-Does and elbows like this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Can someone give me a use case for Asynchronous GPU readback? From my understanding it's like a lazy .GetPixels, which does not stall the CPU but may be a few frames late in delivering, right?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You could read ocean heights, terrain heights, you could do more work on gpu without a penalty.