Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Graphical warping bug on world space canvas

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by HongCruise, Jan 15, 2021.

1. HongCruise

HongCruise

I have a few world space canvas that I use for gauges, maps, data for my game but I notice when I get further away from 0,0,0 on the world space these canvas start shaking and warping. Take a look at the text on the picture attached for an example. One thing I notice is that if I use a screen space overlay the text and assets on it don't warp no matter how far away I am and I'm not sure if this matters but the world space canvas that I use are pretty small in size, width and height of 0.3 for this example. The other thing I notice is that the closer I get back to 0,0,0 the more it goes back to normal.

Has anyone dealt with this issue/have suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. HongCruise

HongCruise

On further inspection, it's not just my world canvas, it's 3d objects as well, I notice the polygons I use for the cockpit start wildly shaking the further out I get from 0,0,0

3. HongCruise

HongCruise

4. Zomby138

Zomby138

If you're having trouble with floating point precision a long way from the world origin, you can try moving the world around, rather than moving the camera / player.

That's what people used to do in old games.

5. HongCruise

HongCruise

That's essentially what I ended up having to do, which really throws a kink in the entire physics system. Suddenly things like addforce and collision become a whole lot tricker. Not to mention I'm working with Mirror for multiplayer, it requires some very creative hacks...

unityunity