Search Unity

GraphCraft—a hybrid procedural generation and manual creation tool, v1.0 [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by shanecelis, Jan 13, 2015.

1. shanecelis

shanecelis

I'd like to announce the first release of GraphCraft now available as a Unity asset. It's probably best understood by seeing it in action, even just 30 seconds of action. Please see the embedded video above or use this link.

I'm a big fan of procedural generation. There was a paper that used full-fledged genetic algorithm to produce bodies and brains procedurally. The bodies were encoded as graphs that were then expanded. I thought it'd be cool to pull out just that portion of the design but make it easy to craft these recursive bodies by hand, so this is hybrid approach with procedural generation and manual creation.

You could use GraphCraft to build lots of things: trees, quadrupeds, fish, snakes, broccoli, flowers, buildings, anything that has a kind of recursive, reuse-of-parts at different scales is admissible. Not everyone's game calls for robots, but some cool plants in that background that sway with some wind forces can spice up a scene. My foremost interest in GraphCraft is to use it for is building interesting robot bodies, so it's a robot construction kit for me, a flower generator for someone else, an architecture motif explorer for yet another person.

Please see its webpage or asset page for more details. Thanks!

Happy to answer any questions here.

—Shane (@shanecelis)