Search Unity

Question Graph View and Graph Foundation: What is their current state and which one should I use to continue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pokelocos, Mar 17, 2023.

1. pokelocos

pokelocos

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if I should be writing this, but it would be helpful to me, and perhaps to others who have the same doubt. I'm currently working on a project that involves creating a tool for the Unity editor. This tool will have custom windows with nodes, tilemaps, and other elements. Currently, I'm using the experimental Graph View function, and I've been able to make good progress without any issues. However, I'm unsure about the current state of the Graph View and Graph Foundation libraries. As far as I understand, Graph Foundation was the predecessor of Graph View, but reading community forums suggests that Graph View is being left behind, and that developers are now using Foundation. At the same time, I see many more forums and tutorial videos that talk about Graph View. I would like to know which technology I should use for the future, as my tool will take a few years to develop, and I don't want to switch technologies when it's more advanced.

Additionally, many of the node and edge functionalities of Graph View are not useful for the elements I'm creating. So, I feel like either I'm wasting the tool's potential, and I should spend more time studying these technologies. However, I'm facing difficulties finding clear documentation and support materials to help me in this task. Alternatively, perhaps I shouldn't use this system as it is more complex than what my project requires, and I should consider using a simpler or differently-oriented technology that I haven't been able to find.

I would appreciate any comments or discusión on this topic.

2. spiney199

spiney199

As it's UI Toolkit stuff, this topic should be in the UI Toolkit subforum.

On that topic, do a search on said subforum about this topic. It's come up ad nausem.

pokelocos likes this.
  3. pokelocos

pokelocos

Hi, thanks for responding. I always see you in toolkit forums answering correctly and in a pleasant manner :D. I'm going to take advantage of this to ask you, where can I find information about UxmlTraits and everything related to "Factory"? I've seen information, but to be honest, it's not clear to me. I appreciate any information you could give me

4. spiney199

spiney199

pokelocos likes this.