Search Unity

Graph Tool Foundation and State Machine

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Hekiat, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Hekiat

Hekiat

Hello,

i've been searching and experimenting with the GTF. I know that's it's a preview package and it's not fully fonctionnal but still. I really want to use it or at least understand how to use it.
    What i'm trying to achieve is to build a view for a State Machine similar to UE4 or Unity animation state machine.

i've been playing with the ports and nodes but i can't achieve this kind of view. The best I can do is to use Execution Port and connect each pin. But it's not real easy to read an it will become messy really fast. I also tried to change de .uss files, but I failed, and I don't think it's a really good way to do it.

From the "Getting Started" documentation it says:

So i guess there is a way to do it but can't find the way.
    Do someone has an idea about this?
    Also i saw that the package is updated every 2 weeks, is there a chance that a state machine sample code could be added to this package in a near future?

OldMage likes this.
  2. Ruchir

Ruchir

I think they must be implementing something to accommodate this feature considering they would need this exact feature for the state machine used by BOLT, which is one of the primary focuses for the team. maybe they will include some example in an upcoming version about these kinds of nodes which don't require ports/are more suitable for state machine representation.

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

Definitely seems a legit use-case.
    Curious why Unity hasn't responded to this with either a comment or documentation (pictures, class definitions, using statements, etc.) -- a more complete explanation essentially.

I'm sure it's still changing a lot under the hood, but I think at least some of the foundational principles could be expanded upon (in the docs, for example) for clarifying more general use-cases like this one. Seems like GTFO should be more flexible than a one-way data flow (if it is indeed going to replace all tool graphs as a solution).

OldMage likes this.