Search Unity

Gradle build failed

Discussion in 'Android' started by luoyu510183, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luoyu510183

luoyu510183

stderr[
    FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
    * What went wrong:
    A problem occurred configuring root project 'gradleOut'.
    > Failed to find Build Tools revision 29.0.0

I have no idea why Unity would choose revision 29.0.0 as Build Tools revision.
    I have 28.0.3 installed and worked fine for a long time. How to change this revision?

Rodolfomachado, ARDZEY and StartStart like this.
  2. luoyu510183

luoyu510183

1. The reason, why Unity would choose 29.0.0, is that there is a folder named "29.0.0-rc1" in the "Android\Sdk\platforms". The stupid Unity framework detected the newest revision was 29.0.0-rc1, but it only accepts revision like 2x.x.x. So it wrote revision 29.0.0 to "build.gradle" file.
    2. In the player settings, my selection of the target API level is not "the Highest installed", but Android 9(28). It seems this selection means nothing to the gradle result.
    By the way, the revision "29.0.0-rc1" was automatically installed by Android Studio. You will never know when your silly Unity will get into this trap.

3. longbowgr

longbowgr

For everyone coming across this problem, (I don't know if you found the solution already, luoyu) I circumvented the it by doing the following:
    • Export the Project instead of letting Unity build the apk for me (Select "Export Project" in Build Settings)
    • Opened the exported project in Android Studio
    • Changed the build.gradle file to use the 29.0.0-rc1 build tools
      Code (JavaScript):
      1. android {
      2.     compileSdkVersion 28
      3.     buildToolsVersion '29.0.0-rc1'
      4. ...
      and finally
    • Built and pushed the apk to my device via Android Studio.

neilnyinyi1997 likes this.
  4. StartStart

StartStart

Do you have more option to fix?

by the way I will try this because new project still cannot build.

5. longbowgr

longbowgr

If you provide more information about your problem, I might be able to help.

What does the console print? What are you trying to do?

6. StartStart

StartStart

7. StartStart

StartStart

I found how to fix

Go to C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\build-tools

Move 29.0.0-rc1 out to anywhere boommm build success.

8. devluz

devluz

Best to have android ndk and sdk for unity separate from the one used for Android Studio. I kept running into this problem at least once a year when AndroidStudio updates the SDK to a point where Unity can't handle it anymore.

You can pick your own folders via Preferences -> External tools

shacharoz and StartStart like this.
  9. luoyu510183

luoyu510183

I forgot to write the solution:
    1. simply remove the "29.0.0-rc1" folder from your build tools directory.
    2. exported your project, and change the property value of buildToolsVersion to "29.0.0-rc1" or any revision installed. buildToolsVersion is inside the "build.gradle" file.

guayeah likes this.
  10. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    )))))) BOOM BOOM )))))))))))))

Yes. IT WORKS! That is what I did and success!

NOW...to try to build something with the AR/VR samples without errors.....

....TO THE BAT CAVE!!!

11. Lankika

Lankika

thanks

12. adrenal36

adrenal36

i just renamed the folder and it worked as well

13. shawnlauzon

shawnlauzon

Thanks @TARTs and @luoyu510183 for the tips needed to resolve this. I decided to do it a slightly cleaner way by removing -rc2 build tools using Android Studio:

1. Android Studio > Tools > SDK Manager
    2. Choose the SDK Tools tab
    3. Unselect the Build Tools and hit Apply; this will remove all of your build tools
    4. Tick Show Package Details and then choose the latest version with x.y.z; for me this was 28.0.3
    5. Hit Apply; this will download the proper build tools
    6. Perform the Unity build; should finish successfully!

14. dugsteen

dugsteen

This thread was immensely helpful. Thank you all.
    For anyone else reading, another option is to uninstall all of the build tools using the SDK Manager and then run Unity. It will complain that there is no SDK and offer to install it. I chose the normal install (not "highest available") and it finally worked.

15. student234ktk

student234ktk

Rename to what,
    '29.0.0' or ???

16. student234ktk

student234ktk

I update my android studio and sdk, also update unity to 2019.1.0f2. Now it's giving build gradle error. In my build-tools folder their are 2 file.
    One is 28.0.3
    Second is 29.0.0-rc2

A problem occurred configuring root project 'gradleOut'.
    > Failed to find Build Tools revision 29.0.0

17. luoyu510183

luoyu510183

You can just delete the folder "29.0.0-rc2". It's not a final released version anyway. Also, Unity 2019.1.0.f2 has embedded the Android SDK. You can just set "Android SDK installed with Unity" in the Preferences window.

mjcpababo9 likes this.
  18. student234ktk

student234ktk

Thanks for replay. When I delete 29.0.0-rc2 folder. Unity give me panel to update the android studio or select highest available sdk. The reason I update the sdk is because google ads not showing. When I delete 29.0.0-rc2 folder the .apk file is generate successfully but ads not showing. Can you help me with it. It's almost more than 2 week that I face this problem.

I also post question here with manefist code and AdManger Script. If you can help. : https://answers.unity.com/questions/1627237/admob-ads-not-showing-into-unity-game-please-help.html

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  19. b3cao

b3cao

After read all post about this, simple, how i use unreal 4 too, i had did the update "sdk base", "platfoorm tools" and "build tools" by codeworks nvidia , then, here i finded folder 29.0.0-rc2 on build tools folder, dont delete or remove then, i must only update the 3 components

20. luoyu510183

luoyu510183

I don't think it's a good idea to upgrade your Android SDK to the highest version just for ads issue. On the one hand, google ads not showing might be caused by permission issues or API changes. On the other hand, 29.0.0-rc2 is not an official stable released version. You may build a simple ads app in Android Studio to test which version is okay for ads showing.

Mayckon_Jhonatas likes this.
  21. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

I have this problem too i cant find 29.0.0-rc1

22. StartStart

StartStart

Nowaday you don't need to mess up with Build Tools.

Just remove all Unity > Install Unity Hub > Install newest version Unity.

EmeraldThunder likes this.
  23. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

thnx

24. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

I installed Gradle 5.4.1 and it solved the problem

Installation:

1. Download it

2. Add New Folder at C: and name it Gradle

3. Extract Zip file content to it

4. Right Click on my PC and properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables

Section System Variables double click Path > New

copy paste this " C:\Gradle\gradle-5.4.1\bin "

then ok

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Taher-Alzoubi, alvarometon and PHL1 like this.
  25. Marrt

Marrt

I had a similar problem:

The error happened because somehow Unity created an Apostrophe in a file name within the streaming assets folder when some conflict happened sometime in the past:
    --> 'build_info (marrt-pc's conflicted copy 2016-05-14).txt'

26. shreedx

shreedx

Hello guys, did anyone face gradle build failed issues with 2019.1.7 version? I am using only built-in JDK, SDK and gradle, yet I get this error no matter what I do. I am seriously running insane.

CommandInvokationFailure: Gradle build failed.
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer/Tools\OpenJDK\Windows\bin\java.exe -classpath "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Tools\gradle\lib\gradle-launcher-5.1.1.jar" org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain "-Dorg.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4096m" "assembleRelease"

stderr[

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
    Execution failed for task ':processReleaseResources'.
    > Android resource linking failed
    error: resource style/Theme.AppCompat.NoActionBar (aka com.xxxxxxxxxxxx:style/Theme.AppCompat.NoActionBar) not found.
    error: resource style/Theme.AppCompat.Dialog (aka com.xxxxxxxxxxxx:style/Theme.AppCompat.Dialog) not found.
    error: failed linking references.

* Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 12s
    ]
    stdout[

> Configure project :
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\build-tools\28.0.3\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\platform-tools\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\platforms\android-28\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\tools\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\build-tools\28.0.3\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\platform-tools\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\platforms\android-28\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only
    Exception while marshalling C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\tools\package.xml. Probably the SDK is read-only

> Task :preBuild UP-TO-DATE
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:preBuild UP-TO-DATE
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:preReleaseBuild UP-TO-DATE
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:checkReleaseManifest
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:processReleaseManifest
    > Task :preReleaseBuild
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:compileReleaseAidl NO-SOURCE
    > Task :compileReleaseAidl NO-SOURCE
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:packageReleaseRenderscript NO-SOURCE
    > Task :compileReleaseRenderscript NO-SOURCE
    > Task :checkReleaseManifest
    > Task :generateReleaseBuildConfig
    > Task :prepareLintJar
    > Task :generateReleaseSources
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:compileReleaseRenderscript NO-SOURCE
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:generateReleaseBuildConfig
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:generateReleaseResValues
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:generateReleaseResources
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:packageReleaseResources
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:generateReleaseRFile
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:prepareLintJar
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:generateReleaseSources
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:javaPreCompileRelease
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac
    > Task :GoogleMobileAdsPlugin:bundleLibCompileRelease
    > Task :javaPreCompileRelease
    > Task :mainApkListPersistenceRelease
    > Task :generateReleaseResValues
    > Task :generateReleaseResources
    > Task :mergeReleaseResources
    > Task :createReleaseCompatibleScreenManifests
    > Task :processReleaseManifest
    > Task :processReleaseResources FAILED

Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 6.0.
    Use '--warning-mode all' to show the individual deprecation warnings.
    See https://docs.gradle.org/5.1.1/userguide/command_line_interface.html#sec:command_line_warnings
    21 actionable tasks: 21 executed
    ]
    exit code: 1
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.WaitForProgramToRun (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, UnityEditor.Android.Command+WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.Run (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo psi, UnityEditor.Android.Command+WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.Run (System.String command, System.String args, System.String workingdir, UnityEditor.Android.Command+WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidJavaTools.RunJava (System.String args, System.String workingdir, System.Action`1[T] progress, System.String error) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.GradleWrapper.Run (UnityEditor.Android.AndroidJavaTools javaTools, System.String workingdir, System.String task, System.Action`1[T] progress) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    Rethrow as GradleInvokationException: Gradle build failed
    UnityEditor.Android.GradleWrapper.Run (UnityEditor.Android.AndroidJavaTools javaTools, System.String workingdir, System.String task, System.Action`1[T] progress) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.BuildGradleProject.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    Rethrow as BuildFailedException: Exception of type 'UnityEditor.Build.BuildFailedException' was thrown.
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.CancelPostProcess.AbortBuild (System.String title, System.String message, System.Exception ex) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args, UnityEditor.BuildProperties& outProperties) (at <1a10f9035b6b403994c99e5b653643c6>:0)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:281)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    If anyone had this issue before, or does have an idea what I might do in order to get it working, I would greatly appreciate that, thanks! :)

Venture87 likes this.
  27. joejoe90

joejoe90

Just to let you know that I was also going insane for 2 days after upgrading to this version.I dont't know why I did notice it before but on unity's output consol window,Gradle or one of it's dependencies was trying to contact google via the internet(snoop! snoop!),I disabled my firewall and my apk file was built.
    All off this was done with a new scene with just one cube to obtain a simple baseline!

fmvlabs likes this.
  28. joejoe90

joejoe90

RESOLVED:error: resource style/VrActivityTheme (..........) not found.

This error first appeared on unity2019.1 after i upgraded.

I moved my VR cardboard project,which was created on unity 2018.3 over to the new version,tied to build using
    api level 28.I ended up getting a whole load of errors of which'resource style/VrActivityTheme'stood out.
    I went to my build settings and XR Settings,I added none for the vr settings and removed the cardboard VR from the list.
    I managed to build my project with no VR settings added, I then re-added cardboard VR back to the list and removed 'none' and now all is ok!

Note:I also had to turn off my firewall unitl my first complete build with no errors.One of the errors in the list was pointing to google being contacted while apk was being built??????

29. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

If you are using any of the Google plugins (ads, Firebase, cardboard...etc), the gradle script requires stable internet connection as one (or more) of its build steps involves updating and grabbing from Google's repositories for the latest binaries for the target platforms.
    My automated jenkins build for a small project that utilizes just the Firebase Analytics has only a pathetic success rate of 50% during the updating of the plugin binaries during Gradle.
    WTF google!

30. MtWalker

MtWalker

I followed your steps 1-4,
    I didn't see "Path", so I just clicked "New".
    It asks for a Variable Name & Variable Value, I pasted the above in for the Value and named it Gradle.
    This did not help, still get "Gradle Initialization failed."

31. MtWalker

MtWalker

I can relate to "going insane". Also trying just a cube, but disabling my firewall didn't help.

32. MtWalker

MtWalker

Thought I would try the latest: 2019.3.0a7. I successfully did a build with no Gradle errors!

33. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

Do I need to delete the old version of unity?
    Because I have unity 2018 and unity 2019 installed
    2018 works fine but give gradle build errors but 2019 doesn't work at all it does this...
    I attached an image...

Attached Files:

34. StartStart

StartStart

Is it happened when open Projects? Try restore Windows layout.

35. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

I don't know how to restore windows layout
    I'm new to unity
    But it happened when I downloaded unity 2018 and I informed to update by that 2018 version and so I did by downloading unity 2019 and after I created a new project with it, through the unity hub, then the 2019 version started doing that and nothing works in it
    Am I maybe supposed to delete unity 2018 before 2019 works?

36. StartStart

StartStart

Look at menu bar (Above screen) try to find window mene

37. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

It still doesn't work Unity 2019 is still blank like the image

38. StartStart

StartStart

Can you post your computer specs.

39. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

It's in the attachments

Attached Files:

40. StartStart

StartStart

System Requirements for Unity version Unity 2019.1.9
    Released: 5 July 2019
    OS: Windows 7 SP1+, 8, 10, 64-bit versions only; macOS 10.12+
    GPU: Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.

Maybe specs is the problems, I don't know much.

41. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

I don't think it's the specs because my CPU meets all the specs but I'll try deleting it and re-downloading it.
    But one important question I want to ask is, should I delete all old versions of unity before I install the unity 2019 version?

42. StartStart

StartStart

You can install seperately version at once, Just make sure you didn't install in the same folder.

43. PHL1

PHL1

hi.i did what you said and thanks to you i got
    "Build completed with a result of 'Succeeded' "

44. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

Thanks I'll check the that they are instalked in separate folders then reinstall unity 2019

45. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

I tried to download the Gradle build 5.4.1 file and I still get a build fail message due to the Gradle from the console

46. jatin89

jatin89

Yeh, this is working for me..
    Thank you.

47. GameRickster

GameRickster

well for days.... I'm stuck.. I have tried both options mentioned here and still get build errors...will continue to try....

5MIN later...

""Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect""

type in password correctly.. it starts working..

Unity 2018.4.4f1
    latest gradle installed

48. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

I tried installing unity 2019 and my add modules doesn't show in unity hub
    All I have are the options to show it in my explorer or remove from unity hub, please help me:(
    Can you please help me with this

49. StartStart

StartStart

Try to clean remove Unity Hub, Unity Editor. Then Install Unity Hub and Unity Editor.

50. divineiwu01

divineiwu01

Thanks a lot I'll do and let you know how it went

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.