Search Unity

Question Gradients in visual scripting ?

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by MoussaNeggaz, Nov 21, 2022.

1. MoussaNeggaz

MoussaNeggaz

Hello,
    I would like to do an HP bar wich changes colors when the player loses HP. However i don't know how to use gradients in visual scripting, could someone help me with that ?
    Thanks a lot !

2. TimHermelink

TimHermelink

You can use "Color.lerp" for this.
    If your HP varible goes from 0 to 100, make sure to divide it by 100 so it ends up being 0 to 1

3. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

You could also grab Dotween from the asset store and use Image.DOColor(Color to, float duration) shortcut.

4. OBiwer

OBiwer

Sadly, "Gradient" is missing in the stuff you can do with VisualScripting, even though it's perfectly serializable by unity, you can't create a GradientVariable in VisualScripting ‍♂️

A Gradient can obviously do a lot more stuff than a simple lerp.

First I thought: okay, just create a custom node for gradients should be easy, but the visual scripting system just shows a warning instead of the GradientField, that there is no drawer for it.
    I then tried to wrap the Gradient into a custom type with a custom drawer, but it just ignored my custom drawer.

I then tried to add "Gradient" in the project settings > Visual Scripting to the Type Options and, while it now shows as a type and you can use all of it's fuctions, you can't setup the Gradient in the inspector. You'd have to create a script which modify's the Gradient on the "Variables"-Component for you.

Edit:

Okay, now it worked:

add this script in an Editor folder or in an Editor asmdef:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(Gradient))]
    2. public class GradientPropertyDrawer : PropertyDrawer
    3. {
    4.     public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    5.     {
    6.         // yes, this is stupid, and only for the visual scripting system:
    7.         EditorGUI.PropertyField(position, property, label);
    8.     }
    9. }
    1. Go To: Project settings > Visual Scripting
    2. in Type Options add "Gradient"
    3. Press Button: Regenerate Node Library
    4. Press Button Generate in "Custom Inspector Properties"

Now you can use Gradients in Visual Scripting like everything else

upload_2023-1-6_11-6-24.png

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    skoteskote likes this.