Search Unity

Resolved Gradient based on relative direction

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Beauque, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Beauque

Beauque

Hi.
    I would like to map a normalised gradient on a mesh, for instance like if using the local position on the x axis (remapped to 0-1), but I want it aligned to a specific direction, towards a specific position in space or toward the world's origin. Something I thought would be trivial in Amplify but I tend to get stuck even with simple maths.

To give a better idea: If we plug the result in the emissive port, every object with the shader would appear to be lit by a same object standing somewhere in the scene.

(I want to use this gradient to fake ambient lighting on a planet shader and light its atmosphere, according to its relative position to the star. For a matter of flexibility I would like to use a given transform position rather than using lighting informations. Also I would rather not use the normal information of the meshes since they are not so spherical.)

I hope this is understandable. I am sure it has to do with the nodes below but I ended up trying every combinaison I could think of without getting the desired result..
    upload_2020-7-13_21-29-44.png

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. Beauque

Beauque

Well it seens I figured it out myself, with a simple dot product.
    upload_2020-7-15_23-1-5.png

Not sure if this is the best solution but it does the job in my case. Here is the result what I was looking for:
    upload_2020-7-15_23-4-8.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020