Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug GrabPass missing on Oculus Quest Single Pass shaders

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by creat327, May 13, 2021.

1. creat327

creat327

Hi

Is there any reason why GrabPass{ "_GrabTexture" } is not implemented on Android Single Pass rendering, but it is implemented in Stereo Rendering and actually working pretty well and fast?

It seems to make no sense to me why it would be available and good performance in stereo but not available at all in single pass which is the ideal use case...

Why is this missing? I've found post over 2 years old complaining about it and replies from Unity that it was fixed and then broken again and then fixed and then broken again...

2. creat327

creat327

Already in alpha 19 and still no Grabpass on shaders for android VR single pass instanced.

A little more detail:
    Grabpass is a keyword used on shaders. It's behind tons and I mean tons (grass, water, screen) effects. It's already there and working on every platform. Even on VR.

But for some reason, someone at unity forgot to enable Grabpass only for VR on Android when Single Pass Instanced rendering is enabled. It works fine on Stereo (Multipass) Rendering. This is a huge problem because many of us cannot take advantage of the huge performance gain by switching to Single Pass Instance rendering on Android VR.

Think of Oculus Quest for instance. You can easily gain 30% or more performance just by making that switch. But we can't because Grabpass is not enabled. The ironic thing is that the code is there, it runs on every platform. It just seems someone at Unity forgot to enable it for this specific platform!

Please, fix this before 2021.2 is out of alpha

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hey @creat327,

Thanks for submitting a bug report about this (1341356). QA will look into it. For future references, please mention the ID of your reports when you post about them in the forum so we have a better chance of tying them together.

4. creat327

creat327

Actually, question about bug report. When you enter the title on the reporter, it searches the forum and shows as an already submitted bug (this thread). I wasn´t sure if I needed to submit the bug report or it was already considered just from the post on the forum.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Forum threads are not part of the regular bug processing pipeline. If you post about an issue on the forum, there's no guarantee from our side that it will be investigated. Likewise, a forum thread appearing in the bug reporter is not indicative of it being investigated. If you think you're encountering a bug, the best way to report it is by using the bug reporter. That will ensure that the case will be investigated.

The links that are being displayed in the bug reporter include resources in the forum and other channels to help discover related information about an issue or a question and prevent unnecessary reports. Of the displayed results, only IssueTracker cases point to known issues.