Search Unity

Feature Request Grabbing character set for a language, to feed into TextMeshPro

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by japtar10101, Dec 1, 2019.

1. japtar10101

japtar10101

I apologize in advance that I couldn't quite get the localization tools running on my computer yet, so I haven't had the time to verify whether this feature exists. Reviewing the feature list and documentation, it doesn't appear to be.

It would be nice if it was possible to read through all the strings for a language, and find all the unique Unicode characters being used so that we can feed said set of characters into TextMeshPro, and generate a much smaller font file. This benefit would be most pronounced for languages like Chinese and Japanese, where the font files naturally have to support a huge number of unique characters.

In addition, at least for Japanese, it'd be nice as part of this parsing process, a custom/predefined set of characters can be quickly be pre-pended/appended to the Unicode set. For example, a game may allow the player to enter a character's name, in which support for Hiragana and Katakana will likely be necessary. As such, it'd be nice to tell this Unicode set generator to say it should include all the Hiragana and Katakana before parsing the rest of the table, and adding any unique Unicode characters from those strings.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Did you encounter any problems getting the tools to work?
    Thanks for the suggestion. It is possible to iterate through the tables and do this now however we will add proper support for this in the future.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. japtar10101

japtar10101

Since I still have 2019.2, I was trying to test package 0.4.0-preview. I think the main problem was some Addressable-related code wasn't available, but then again, I did upgrade Addressable to the latest.

Since 2019.3 stable is coming out soon, anyway, I'm sure I'll be able to test around with the latest version of localization package when 2019.3 is released. I'll post again if I bump into any problems.

karl_jones likes this.