Search Unity

Grab Yer Assets (GYA) v3 - UnityPackage Import & Management

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Xeir, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Setmaster

Setmaster

Everything is working perfectly, thank you for the help.

2. Xeir

Xeir

Certainly and great to hear!

3. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.16.10.1405

- Modified pinned icons handling
    - Added 'Lock' icon for 'Version Locked' assets in the main views; so that you know an asset is locked even when not viewing the Group

4. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.16.10.2301

- Fixed: Renaming a 'New Group' may not be properly updated.
    - Added: 'Add New Group ..' at the bottom of the Collections dropdown, for quick access to the Groups panel.

- Adjusted SVDrawLine style
    - Fixed: Categories dropdown 'Built with Unity 4' no longer includes exported packages
    - Adjusted Categories dropdown 'Built with' & 'Packages' for finer granularity. May end up giving these their own dropdown button.

- Fixed: Pinned icons now have a background texture so that they will no longer blend into long asset titles

5. BigYetti

BigYetti

Very useful changes in V3. Thank you!

This is my number one starting asset in every project.

TeagansDad likes this.
  6. Xeir

Xeir

@BigYetti Quite welcome and great to hear! Glad you like the improvements in GYA v3!

7. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.16.12.1001

- Fixed: Version handling for extended Unity version strings such as "Unity5.4.2f2-GVR13" for the Google Daydream VR version, "-GVR13" causes a parse error during multi-import.

8. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

This looks like an amazing asset, how long will the sale be lasting?

9. Xeir

Xeir

Thanks! I've decided to continue the sale till New Years. On Jan 1st, CST, it will go back to normal price.

10. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

nice, It looks wonderful and like it should already be a part of unity : )

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  11. Xeir

Xeir

@ethanwgross

Can't argue with that, it certainly makes dealing with unityPackages much quicker and simpler. I left a private message for you.

ethanwgross likes this.
  12. Carloe

Carloe

Purchased this asset earlier today and I am loving it. Thank you!

One question tho. Is it possible to specify where in the project the packages should be imported? I usually put all of my 3rd party assets in a subfolder so the main asset folder doesn't get cluttered.

13. Xeir

Xeir

@Carloe Welcome to the forums and great to hear, thank you!

I fully understand as good organization does make life easier.

Specifying an extraction point is not currently an option as the extraction/import is passed to Unity's built-in methods for handling. However, I have been considering adding manual extraction of unityPackages for various reasons, which would bypass the Unity methods and in essence allow for this to be done.

14. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Having a little issue with GYA retrieving the Asset Store Purchased List since updating to latest Unity 5.5.1.

5.5.1f1
    Mac OS X 10.12.3

I am logged into the asset store from within Unity and keep me logged in is checked. However GYA gives the message:

GYA - Download of the 'Purchased Asset' List requires that you have:
    1) Logged into the Asset Store from within Unity & 2) Selected 'Keep me logged in'

UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    XeirGYA.GYAExt:LogWarning(String, String, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAExt.cs:455)
    XeirGYA.<DownloadURLToFile>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAPackage.cs:702)
    XeirGYA.GYACoroutine:update() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAReflect.cs:357)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  15. Xeir

Xeir

Thanks for letting me know, I will look into it.

16. Xeir

Xeir

@ethanwgross Did some checking and I'm not seeing anything in 5.5.1 that would cause an issue. I'm running a slightly older OSX version, 10.11.6, but there shouldn't be anything there that should cause an issue, but I will see about creating an alternate boot scenario to test it out just in case.

In the meantime, from within Unity, try something simple: Log out of the Asset Store then log back in. The browser login has no effect on the internal Unity Asset Store login. Let me know if there is any change.

I'll contact you via email with something to test later.

UPDATE: Email sent.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  17. sxa

sxa

HI;

Currently, Im mostly spending my time on small learning projects, so there's a lot of churn on my asset useage, and because of that GYA is pretty much my default package. I wonder if it'd be possible to make a couple of feature requests/suggestions?

1. Import of a package into any defined subfolder (as per Package2Folder https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64829)

2. Tags for managing/sorting Assets in addition to the existing Groups

3. The possibility of sorting/selecting Assets built or updated since a specific date (in order to identify those that might have been updated on the Store since a project was built)

Cheers.

18. Xeir

Xeir

@sxa
    Good to hear that GYA is serving you well! Some good ideas there, I'll look into the them.

As to the sorting by Date for build/updated have you tried the Sort options by clicking on the magnifing glass icon in the Search bar?

19. sxa

sxa

Actually, I hadnt realised it was possible to sort like that, totally overlooked it, but its definitely a step towards helping in that scenario, cheers.

Also Ive just realised that when I said Tags, I was actually thinking GYA-specific, but of course there's also the new-ish tagging system that the Asset Store uses; I wonder if there'd be any way for GYA to access them as well? It'd be quite nice if it they could be set/used in GYA.

20. Duffer123

Duffer123

Would this asset allow me to save a gameobject, however complex, back to a subfolder of tge Assets folder as a new prefab in runtime?

21. Xeir

Xeir

GYA is an editor only package designed to simplify the management/import of your collection of User Exported and Asset Store Assets (*.unitypackage's), so it would not do what you are looking for.

I'm not sure what package on the Asset Store would do what you want, but if I run across it, I'll be sure to forward the info.

22. Duffer123

Duffer123

23. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.17.2.1503

- 3rd Party Asset Support (Package2Folder). 'Import To Folder' option added when Right-Clicking an Asset in the list. If Package2Folder exists but is not installed, there will be an option to install, if not there will be a link to download from the Asset Store.

Note: 'Import To Folder' allows you to import the asset to any selected folder within the 'Assets' folder of the current project.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    ethanwgross and codestage like this.
  24. sxa

sxa

cheers, thats perfect...

Xeir likes this.
  25. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I purchased this asset a while ago, but never used it. I just paid for the upgrade and thought I would give it a go.

I am so confused. I have no idea how this asset works.

How do I get it to recognize my asset store purchases?

I noted in a previous post that you needed to be logged in to the asset store. I did this through chrome and left the asset store window open in unity.

Hit refresh, right clicked on refresh. GYA does nothing?

I couldnt find any tutorial. Readme has no instructions. Please help.

26. Xeir

Xeir

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, let's see if we can get you going.

To enable integration with you purchased assets, do the following:
    1) Click on the Main menu icon (Gear) and select 'Preferences'
    2) From the default 'Preferences' Tab, enable 'Retrieve Purchased Assets List'

That will typically be all that is required.

The next time you click on 'Refresh', the circular arrow in the upper right corner, after downloading/updating assets, GYA will detect the difference and attempt to retrieve the 'Purchased Assets List'. Alternatively, you can force GYA to retrieve the list by right-clicking on the 'Refresh' icon.

You should see '[Updating: Purchased Assets List]' on the second line if it is updating in the background. GYA will notify you when it has completed with another message in the log.

If GYA reports a problem downloading the 'Purchased Assets List', try the following:
    1) Log out of the Asset Store from within Unity
    2) Log back in to the Asset Store from within Unity and make sure to enable 'Keep me logged in'

I would imagine that most people have this enabled by default so as to not have to constantly log back in when downloading or updating the assets.

Access to the 'Purchased Assets List' is an optional feature, that is why it is disabled by default. It gives GYA the following additional abilities that do not directly affect the intended function of GYA:
    1) 'Deprecated' assets that you might have will have an orange hazard icon to the right of the asset in the list.
    2) Categories drop-down: there are (3) options that are noted with an (*)
    3) Search drop-down (magnifier): there is (1) option that is noted with an (*)

Let me know if you have any further trouble.

ethanwgross likes this.
  27. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Thx for reply. I have made a bit of progress.

I found that to get the list of assets I had to click on the folders icon at the top and select "Packages not downloaded*" (see Orange arrow)

However, I still can't work out how to download my assets. I tried clicking on the checkbox beside the asset. This does not select the asset. I also tried the drop box with a "0" and the select all option (see black arrow), this doesn't work either.

I must be missing something. How do I download my assets?

gya.jpg

28. Xeir

Xeir

Now I see what you are trying to do. You are looking for and attempting to do something that is not available.

While GYA is a Package Import & Management system, it does not offer the ability to download assets in place of using Unity's Asset Store 'Download Manager'. GYA can download the users 'Purchased Assets' list (the same data that is displayed when you go to Unity's 'Download Manager' page). It simply cannot download the actual assets, nor is it mentioned that it can do so in the description. The 'Purchased Assets' list simply provides those few extra features that I mentioned in the previous post and that it why it is optional to enable the feature, as it is not required for GYA to perform as it should.

Now, I am aware of the built in methods that Unity uses to download the unityPackage files. However, I've as yet been unable to determine a way to do so from GYA, due to the way it is handled. If/when I figure out how, it will certainly become a feature of GYA.

I hope that answers your questions.

29. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Thx for clarifying and getting back to me so quickly.

30. Xeir

Xeir

Quite welcome.

31. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Got this error after importing multiple assets:

Reload Assembly called from managed code directly. This will cause a crash. You should never refresh assets in synchronous mode or enter playmode synchronously from script code.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    XeirGYA.GYAReflect:MI_Invoke(String, String, Object) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAReflect.cs:319)
    XeirGYA.GYAImport:ImportPackageImmediately(String) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAImport.cs:206)
    XeirGYA.GYAImport:ImportMultiple(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAImport.cs:154)
    XeirGYA.GYA:TBPopUpCallback(Object) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYA.cs:2784)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

Is it normal?

Using Unity 5.6.0f3
    Preferences > Multi-import Override: Default

32. Xeir

Xeir

No, it is certainly not normal. Thank you for letting me know.

I'll submit a fix for the change in 5.6x shortly. In the meantime, you can change the import method via 'Preferences > Multi-import Override: Unity Async'. I just tested and it works as expected.

33. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.17.4.401

- Fixed: 'Categories-Packages:' selections not always auto-enabling 'All Assets' tab
    - Fixed: Unity 5.6x multi-import reporting an error on Sync import even thou packages were imported. Multi-import Override will force Async for Unity 5.6x+

34. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Hey man, just wanted to drop in and let you know I'm still having the freezing issue with Unity 5.6 when using GYA.

35. Xeir

Xeir

Anything you can mention or steps to reproduce the issue? I haven't noticed any issues except with the early 5.6x betas. What version of Unity and GYA are you running now?

Feel free to email with anything you find.

36. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.17.4.1301

- Added: Support for Unity 2017
    - Fixed: GYA would crash on startup in Unity 2017.1.0b1
    - Added: Category support for 'Built with: Unity 2017' packages.

This will at least ensure that GYA will work for those that may be testing out the Unity 2017 beta.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this version also contains a user selectable fix if you have troubles with downloading the 'Purchased Assets List'. It is located under Preferences->Info which also shows the current status.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  37. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Hey man, sorry for the late reply. Ya, its still happening and It only happens when the GYA window is active. I have to be honest, it happens ever time for me, never fails.

What happens after is that it doesn't necessarily make unity completely crash to the finder, but it hangs there with the progress wheel about 10 min after continuous browsing around in the GYA window, i.e. adding things to groups, etc... At that point, it doesn't recover, the application goes unresponsive, and I have to force quit.

5.6.0f3
    Mac OS X 10.12.4

The only thing I'm doing is starting a clean project, importing GYA (from asset store page) and then simply browsing around in the window for a while, maybe 10 min or so.

Its been driving me nuts to the point where I have spent a lot of time back and forth trying to figure out what it is and I can't seem reproduce the issue unless GYA is active. Thanks for the awesome support - Ethan

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  38. Xeir

Xeir

Ethan -

Does anything show up in the editor log and/or can you email the log next time it occurs.

Sadly, I'm currently away on a family emergency and won't be back until the following weekend at the earliest to do any in-depth troubleshooting but I can certainly look into the log or any other info that you might find relevant to the issue.

ethanwgross likes this.
  39. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Thank you in advance for the amazing support man. I will try to find some logs or what ever I can muster up. Its relatively predictable so we should be able to pin it down eventually. There is really no rush and I wish the best for you and your family as that always comes first. Safe travels man : )

Xeir likes this.
  40. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

about the logs I'm not sure if I can find any crash logs because like I said, when the GYA window is open, it causes unity to start lagging and then it just becomes unresponsive thus making me force quit unity. Im not sure if that produces a log file. Im not sure if I mentioned that I am on a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 16in display.

Another issue I discovered is that when I go to delete an asset from GYA, it is not removing the correct one. For instance, I went to delete RenderatorFree from the list and it deleted RSSreader instead. Tried it again and it deleted a different asset with the letter r. Closed it, quit unity and tried it again and it still wouldn't delete the right one. This issue began with Unity 5.6 It does this consistently as well.

No rush on the reply man, I know your probably still not back, but just wanted to throw that in there. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  41. Xeir

Xeir

An alternate way to get to the current and previous Unity editor logs is via Applications->Utilities->Console if that helps.

I'm expecting to be back late this weekend or early this coming week and I will certainly look into the issue, so expect to receive an email from me after I've had a chance to look over it.

No worries and thank you for bringing the issue to my attention and understanding why I'm not able to implement a fix as fast as I normally do during this time. At least, in a few more days that will return to normal.

ethanwgross likes this.
  42. Xeir

Xeir

I'm back and will be looking into the reported issues.

43. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 3.17.5.301

- Fixed: The appended version string was not included in the check for invalid characters
    - Fixed: Memory leak involving a texture

ethanwgross likes this.
  44. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, there're a lot of packages/assets in my project and slowing down compiler, can I use this asset to uninstall/remove them?

45. Xeir

Xeir

Sadly, GYA would not be what you are looking for in this case as it is designed to make organizing and importing the actual *.unityPackage easier.

There are a few solutions on the Asset Store that may be worth checking, but I do not recall the names offhand.

On a side note, I have looked into providing an uninstall option, but due to the way importing is handled, I have not found a solution that I am comfortable adding to GYA as yet.

46. zhuchun

zhuchun

47. Xeir

Xeir

That's the one. It should help in most cases as I recall.

48. Xeir

Xeir

'Purchased Assets List' (PAL) handling heads up.

Something may have changed with retrieving the Purchased Assets List. I'm currently looking into it.

In the meantime, if you have it enabled, you can safely ignore the warning. Any pre-existing Purchased Assets List data will still be available as it's only replaced when new data becomes available ..OR.. you can disable Purchased Assets handling, as it's not required for GYA's functionality and is mainly to indicate deprecated assets.

Update: It looks like Unity has changed the handling on the backend (web side) and it appears that the Unity client no longer provides the data required to easily gain access to the list. I am looking to see if there is an alternate way to gain access.

Update: Progress has been made in understanding what has been changed. There was quite a bit more then would be expected. However, there is still a ways to go to restore PAL handling.

Update: Download the latest version to restores functionality.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  49. ctc5301

ctc5301

I can't build GYA under Visual Studio 7.0 (for Mac). But it is OK under MonoDevelop.
    The error is:
    Assets/Plugins/Editor/GrabYerAssets/GYAFile.cs(39,39): Error CS1061: 'DirectoryInfo' does not contain a definition for 'GetAccessControl' and no extension method 'GetAccessControl' accepting a first argument of type 'DirectoryInfo' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) (CS1061) (ALE for Unity.Editor.Plugins)

50. Xeir

Xeir

In GYAFile.cs find the method CreateFolderWithAllRights() and remark it out and then try to compile within VS.
    That method is one that I was testing for use in certain situations, but is *not* currently implemented.
    I've remarked it out for now in the main source.

Give that a shot and let me know if that solves the problem.