Search Unity

Grab object with Final IK while moving

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tomas_Kok, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Tomas_Kok

Tomas_Kok

Hey everyone,

I have implemented Final IK in my game and I use the InteractionSystem to grab InterationObjects such as weapons that are parented to the characters body. The systems work as they should but I encounter the same problem over and over again:

When an InteractionObject is picked up by/parented to the hand while the character is moving, the parent-child relationship does not work as it normally should. This is because the InteractionObject determines the position/rotation of the hand. This is useful in a lot of situations (such as a button being pressed and the hand following the buttons movement) but when the character is moving this means that the item that is being grabbed does not move along with the character, making the characters arm reach backwards while he is moving away from the target to grab.

What I want to do is tell the InteractionObject that it should stay local to the character but I could not figure out a clean way to do this when I searched through the docs of FinalIk or this forum. I really hope you can help, I believe this is a generic case that could help others as well.