Search Unity

GPU Raytracing: Accessing Materials in a Compute Shader

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by lumoconnor, Oct 19, 2018.

1. lumoconnor

lumoconnor

Hey everyone. I'm currently working on a GPU Raytracing Renderer, implemented using a Compute Shader.

So far I have managed to pass all the geometry in the scene across to the shader using a custom mesh structure, allowing me to perform raycasts on the scene geometry.

I now need access to the Materials/Textures in the scene, in order to retrieve colour information where the rays intersect geometry. Are the Materials/Textures stored as some global property that is accessible from a Compute Shader? Or will I need to pass this data to the Compute Shader manually?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[Here's what it looks like so far - a world of mirror like surfaces reflecting a sky texture]

gpu_raytracer_so_far.PNG

2. bgolus

bgolus

You'll need to pass all of the necessary information to the compute shader yourself.

3. lumoconnor

lumoconnor

Cool, thanks!

Further to my original question then - any ideas the best way to pass, and access, an arbitrary set of textures in a compute shader? Looked into using a structured buffer but it seems as though each texture would have to be the same size.