Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved GPU Progressive keeps falling back to CPU due to OpenCL Error

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by brownce, Nov 3, 2020.

1. brownce

brownce

First tried in 2019.4.x version. And had issues. Switched to 2020.1.10f and still getting these warnings about OpenCL

OpenCL Error. Falling back to CPU lightmapper. Error callback from context: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE
    OpenCL Error. Falling back to CPU lightmapper. Error callback from context: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce RTX 2060 (Device 0).
    OpenCL Error. Falling back to CPU lightmapper. Error callback from context: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER on GeForce RTX 2060 (Device 0).

Doing this on two different computers. Both are running RTX 2060 6GB, different brands. Is it really that intense that those cards can't handle it?

Thank you.

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Those errors means that you are running out of GPU memory.
    Memory usage is highly scene dependent and the GPU lightmapper can run out of memory if most of the GPU memory is taken up by the editor itself or other applications. If you have two GPUs in the machine, you can assign a dedicated one for the lightmapper to make more memory available to it. See the manual for details on how to do this: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/GPUProgressiveLightmapper.html
    4K maps are still too memory hungry for a 6GB card and we have a new feature in the pipeline that will decrease memory usage when baking lightmaps. 2K and lower should be a better fit for your card.

3. brownce

brownce

Ok, thanks. I still got the same error on my 1080 TI 11GB at home when I tested last night.

Our work computers don't have 2 cards and we were already trying to do 2k lightmaps as well.

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

1K should have a higher chance of working on GPU because the memory pressure is lower. We will reduce memory consumption before removing the preview label.

If you need larger maps, CPU lightmapper can handle it already.

5. brownce

brownce

Of course it can, but who has time to wait 20+ hours on a 12 core cpu? We actually switched over to Bakery and it handled everything we tossed at it without issues with 25min bake times.

We'll revisit the GPU progressive when it's out of preview. Thank you again.

6. subhomukh1407

subhomukh1407

I had the same issue so I try to overclock the CPU and GPU but result the same but now I am using AMD Ryzen 9 and 5900x and graphics card 1050Ti 4GB and in OC mode with Unity 2020.2 version is working fine. now Progressive GPU working I think you can use Unity 2020.2

7. subhomukh1407

subhomukh1407

Hi guys it is solved by 30 series graphic card please perches at least 30 series RTX GPU. I was also suffering the same. One recently bug appeared black squire while rendering/light mapping. I don't know why its appearing !!! I don't know when Unity will be without bug.!!!!

8. Sapper_Studios

Sapper_Studios

It may be because of UV overlap try generate UV in the model setting.