Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

GPU overheating in sample scene

Discussion in '2019.3 Alpha' started by Hexer_, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Hexer_

Hexer_

Is it normal that in HDRP sample scene my GPU temperature constantly rises over 90 C in 30-40 seconds?
    At 100 C, my GPU will be physically damaged so it's impossible for me to utilize HDRP for my game.
    I have a notebook with GTX 1060.

If I load similar assets into a standard pipeline scene, the temperature doesn't go over 60C.

If there's something in the HDRP scene that's causing the GPU to overheat, I would like to know what is it and if I can get around it.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Get a laptop cooling pad. This is a hardware issue :).

Hexer_ likes this.
  3. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Hexer_

Is this a regression was the overheating as bad in another Unity version? If so could you file a bug please with the Unity and HDRP version please and post the bug number.

Something to note is that HDRP will tax your system generally even with the sample scene.

Hexer_ likes this.
  4. Hexer_

Hexer_

Hi @JohnC_Unity !
    I tried running the same HDRP sample scene in 2019.1.11f1 and the GPU temperature doesn't go over 70 C.
    No problem, I'll file a bug report with as much details so you can investigate it further!

But just in case, I'm getting that cooling pad as @Tautvydas-Zilys suggested! :)

5. Hexer_

Hexer_

Peter77 likes this.
  6. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post a bug Hexer_. This will help us out.

Cheers

Hexer_ likes this.
  7. Hexer_

Hexer_

Hi @JohnC_Unity !
    I can't update the original bug report so I'm posting here..

I did some additional research and I can confirm that in Unity 2019.2.0f1 with HDRP 6.9.1 there's no overheating, the GPU's temperature stays between between 65-70C.

So, overheating just happens in Unity 2019.3 regardless of the HDRP version I install.

8. Hexer_

Hexer_

Hi, I just received reply from support that they managed to reproduce the issue in versions 2019.3.0a10 and 2019.3.0a11. However, they couldn't reproduce it in 2019.3.0a12 so it seems it's already been fixed :)

Razmot likes this.
  9. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

OK great stuff!

Hopefully youre laptop won't melt with a12. Thanks for taking the time to post a bug report!

Hexer_ and vakabaka like this.
  10. eranewgames

eranewgames

Should not, apparently he bought a stand))