Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GPU not working with RTX card, editor use CPU and DWM.exe using GPU.

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Hec63, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hec63

Hec63

Hi,
    on start project I have this warning.
    <<d3d12: Profiler is enabled, but stable power state is not. GPU timing errors are expected.>>

No errors ,drivers update, windows build and DX12 ok CPU i7 3770,RTX 2060.

All GPU usage in play mode is used by DWM.exe and Unity editor is only using CPU
    FPS is low on simple scene.

I trided two systems same result.

Any help??
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Did you try to investigate with the help of the Profiler what is eating for framerate?

I also use DirectX12 and RTX 2060 for one of my projects and it a more complex scene than yours by telling from the screenshot. Still having over 60 fps.

3. Hec63

Hec63

Yes, there is only other using GPU, there is a warning on GPU which i don't know why.
    With your RTX2060 what is the CPU for that system? u3.jpg

4. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Ok, there are alot of spikes on your CPU usage. You should check out what is causing them. Can you hover above the yellow explamation mark icon beside GPU usage? I never saw that icon before.

By the way, I'm using a Intel Core i7-9750G @ 2.60 GHz and I have 32 GB ram.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  5. Hec63

Hec63

Hi,
    Yellow exclamation I don't know why it is there for. The scene is not using the GPU, if a go to Task manager GPU is not in use.
    Here same scene on a new system i9700 RTX 2070 I get 101FPS instaead of 20FPS but almost all from the CPU.The only thing on the GPU is the Shadow depth. Maybe it is using it and not showing, because a have post processing in the scene.
    Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG

6. sebsmax

sebsmax

I'm not sure, but I think I have the same issue,
    I have a RTX2060 with a AMD cpu

Bellow is the exact same scene running on the same computer, within the same but branch of the project.

Left is Unity 2019.3fb11, right is unity 2019.2.11.
    unknown-30.png

7. Baste

Baste

If you look at the legend on the left side of the screen, you'll see that the ugly olive-green part of the CPU profiler that's causing the actual spikes are GC. So you're puking allocations all over the place.

The GPU is just stalling because your CPU is stalling at the same time.

pachermann likes this.
  8. Hec63

Hec63

To see GPU profile go Profiler Modules top left, to activate GPU display.

9. Hec63

Hec63

GPU is just not activate on is display. I have a Yellow Exclamation mark on GPU I don't know why. Capture5.PNG

10. Snigros

Snigros

I came across this thread because I started getting the same (d3d12: Profiler is enabled, but stable power state is not. GPU timing errors are expected) warning message at project startup.

I also have the yellow exclamation mark against GPU Usage in the profiler. Looking at the docco at (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ProfilerGPU.html) it mentions:

1. You can only use the GPU Profiler in Playmode, or for builds of your application. You cannot use it to profile the Editor.
    2. Note: If you have Graphics Jobs enabled in the Player Settings GPU profiling is not supported....additionally, on macOS, you can only profile the GPU on Mavericks 10.9 or later.
    3. On Windows, Unity supports Playmode profiling in the Editor with Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11 APIs only.

Given this I tried:
    1. Turning off Graphics Jobs in player settings and then profiling in Playmode...no change - GPU profiling does not work - presumably because of point 3 above (as I am using Direct3D12)?....so
    2. Tried profiling several builds as per normal practice (first with Graphics Jobs ON and then with Graphics Jobs off)..again no change - GPU profiling does not work.

I am using a Windows 10 development workstation, 12Mb RAM, 2019.3.13f1, URP 7.3.1, D3D12 (needed for Crest Ocean System to work with XBox deployment), GTX 1050Ti, . Using the latest GeForce driver (445.87) - also tried above with Studio driver but made no difference.

While I would like to have access to the GPU Profiler my main interest is knowing why the stable power state message appears and what this means....

Any suggestions for resolution would be much appreciated.

11. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

To avoid this message and get comparable GPU timings, you can pass
    -force-d3d12-stablepowerstate
    as cl flag to the editor/player. It affects performance but provides stable measurement results by making sure the clock settings are the same between runs.

The yellow warning triangle next to the GPU Usage Profiler legend has been there forever, but it has moved from the bottom to the top in 2019.3. With that change, the tooltip broke. A fix for the tooltip should be in the next 2019.3 release. The warning there is to alert to the fact that having an active GPU Profiler Module while profiling can have a big impact on the performance of the profiled application, which is why the module is not added by default and adding it isn't retained over multiple editor sessions, to avoid accidentally lowering performance due to leaving the module on unintentionally.

Additionally to that warning, the GPU Usage Module's chart should show warning triangles if GPU profiling does for some reason not work with the targeted application (e.g. because Graphics Jobs being enabled or because the specific Graphics API is not yet supported for GPU profiling). If you hover those triangles or select a frame without data and and check the details below the charts, the Profiler should tell you the reasons for there not to be any data.

If there is no data and no message as to why, that's a bug, please file a bug report.

Regarding why unity is not using the GPU? I got nothing, sorry, not my field of expertise. But this sounds like you might want to file a bug report?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    ashtorak likes this.
  12. Snigros

Snigros

Martin,

Thank you for your prompt reply and for clarifying the meaning of the console warning message.

In my case I think the GPU is working (I am not seeing any additional warning triangles) - I just have the one that is currently missing a tool tip.

As an aside, I think it would be really helpful if the clarifications you have provided above could all be added to the GPU Profiler documentation....

Cheers, S

MartinTilo likes this.
  13. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thanks for bringing that up. We'll update the documentation :)

14. Xepherys

Xepherys

For whatever it's worth, the tooltip is also absent in 2020.1.0f1.

15. alimoghaddam79

alimoghaddam79

hi everyone, i have the same problem but just after i updated my project from unity version 2020.1.16f To: Unity 2020.2.1f, now, unity is so slow and giving me even 7 FPS but, if i close unity and than opening it again, it work good but after 2 min , it's getting slower every time :( .

i'm using HDRP 10 on windows 10 , i5 - 9400f _ RAM : 16 _ VGA: RTX 2060 OC

also GPU profiler is not working and showing the same error the guys up says ...

thanks <3

16. alimoghaddam79

alimoghaddam79

fixed Issus by just move DX12 to down, now unity runs with DX11 and it's working fine, but point is why DX12 is not working fine ?
    upload_2021-1-13_13-17-47.png

17. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

I don't know but please report a bug.

18. Martor1612

Martor1612

I've the same issue. Is there a solution ?

19. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

I don't know if this was ever reported so no idea. Likely not a bad idea to report a bug on this.

Xepherys likes this.
  20. Martor1612

Martor1612

I just reported.

MartinTilo likes this.
  21. BlueAwesomeDinosaur

BlueAwesomeDinosaur

Thank you! That fixed my problem! I found this bug in 2021.1.17f1 and the current recommended version. It was not only showing this error message, but causing my whole screen on my PC to flicker, jump, and have flickering corners in the editor.

SoloDevCsharp likes this.
  22. SoloDevCsharp

SoloDevCsharp

Yeah I am using 2021LTS and it only works on dx11, when i tried to enable ray tracing by the HDRP wizard which need to use dx12, I have the same issue on the whole unity screen flicker, jump, and have flickering corners in the editor. So basically I cant use ray tracing at all. <<d3d12: Profiler is enabled, but stable power state is not. GPU timing errors are expected.>> is visable at the console and that was the only message i could see. I get the same result using 2020LTS at dx12 as well. Pretty sure my 2080 is still working fine at the moment so I think this is a software issue. Is there any fix on this?

23. AerionXI

AerionXI

PLEASE.... is there a fix for this? If so, how? I want to use DX12, NOT 11. I have NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q design.

24. Visochestvo

Visochestvo

thanks helped