Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GPU lightmapper

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Thall33, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Thall33

Thall33

It seems to switch back to progressive CPU just after initiation by itself. When I keep restarting the bake using progressive gpu it randomly will stick, and do some baking, but only for a little.

Thoughts?

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thall33 likes this.
  3. Thall33

Thall33

Of course. I'll dig into it and let you know. cheers!

4. Thall33

Thall33

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We might have a fix, QA is testing it at the moment.

Thall33 and jjejj87 like this.
  6. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

Just want to say that even in beta and low sample counts this is really a huge step up in terms of previewing for baking errors and the like, it's massively improved my own work flow thank you!!

Thall33 and KEngelstoft like this.
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

I agree, I expected much worse TBH. Keep going!

Thall33 likes this.
  8. Thall33

Thall33

Thanks for the reply KEngelstoft. Much appreciated!

9. Luke_Fenturi

Luke_Fenturi

I will be putting a case together for building a beast machine just for rendering gpu compute for blender and unity, just need a bit of advice, in terms of gpu what would be the most important aspects for increasing gpu lightmapper performance. I know it's only single card for the moment but wondering if a quadro or something help.

10. jjejj87

jjejj87

Hey KEngelstoft, I noticed that the GPU Lightmapper seems to be running into issues when lightmap size is set above 512 for my 1070GTX. I see a 100% usage spike and it falls back to CPU. Not sure if the info helps.
    Also, this is weird but I get faster bake times with 256 rather than 128. I get around 80% usage with 256 and 30% usage with 128. I am guessing the GPU usage scales with texture size, but just couldn't figure out why it is faster instead of 128 being a faster option. Not sure if this is the intended.

Hope this helps.

11. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We are not really in a place where we can recommend a specific setup yet. We have tested a lot of different GPUs, all the way from integrated and low end laptop GPUs all the way to Titan V and the different types of Vega's and we know that the main bottleneck is not the GPU itself because it is held back by some architectural choices we made early on. We have some work to do before removing the preview label that will change the performance and memory profile of the lightmapper, so expect things to change in future releases. Right now a card with a lot of memory will be a benefit if you are planning on baking large lightmaps (2K or higher).

12. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback! The GPU needs a lot of work (~ a million threads) to be able to get to 100% occupancy and there is simple to few texels in a small lightmap to fully saturate it. We know how to get good occupancy on small lightmaps but it will not be part of the 2018.3 preview. That improvement will likely arrive in the 2019.x cycle.