Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GPU Lightmapper crashes

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by jjejj87, Sep 27, 2018.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

I know that GPU Lightmapper is a preview but since I was waiting for this like five christmas ago, I figured I'd check it out straight away.

I ran it with the following specs:
    i7 6700
    32gb ram
    GTX 1070

HDRP 3.3.0 - preview

At first, it ran really well. No crashes or hassle. But it was not as fast as I hoped. So, I checked the baking stats, and it said 10mRays...

It got me thinking, "wait, that is too low". So I tried again, then this time I got 89mRays....then I tried again 10mRays again. This repeated test went on for few minutes.

Below the stats, it said using "Intel 530" instead of my 1070. So, I figured it must be using my integrated card instead of the dedicated. I checked my GPU usage and integrated GPU was showing 99% usage rate and 1070 around 28%.

I couldn't find any options to change in Unity, so I disabled it completely via bios. (I use 4 monitor system with 3 as main and 1 as a duplicate for cintiq)

After restarting the pc and making sure integrated GPU was off, I ran the test again.

And now the GPU lightmapper crashes Unity as soon as I click the "bake" button.

I am sure this will be ironed out soon, but figured any first hand feedback will be good for the devs. Also, adding in the option to select GPU would be really useful.

Also great job on the GPU Lightmapper. I can't imagine how useful this beast will be when matured.

2. elbows

elbows

I know it seems logical to talk about the GPU lightmapper in this Graphics Experimental Previews subforum, but it actually seems like an official thread about it is in a different forum, the Global Illumination subforum, and I suppose it does make sense to have it there.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/gpu-lightmapper-preview.561103/

I mention this to you also because that post has some info in about which GPU Unity chooses to use and some related matters.

edited to add - there is a thread in the 2018.3 beta forum as well (which includes a link to the other thread I mentioned above) : https://forum.unity.com/threads/gpu-lightmapper-preview.561115/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thanks for the info!

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Have moved it

5. V_Kalinichenko

V_Kalinichenko

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    First of all thanks a lot for providing your feedback regarding the pre-release version of GPU Lightmapper's preview, this is very much appreciated by us!
    Regarding the bug when using Intel Integrated and GeForce GPUs - it looks like a known issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...hdrp-template-scenes-on-intel-hd-graphics-gpu

However, the bug reported on the issue tracker happened when both of GPUs (Intel + NVIDIA) were enabled and, if I understood correctly, you acknowledge the crash when baking just on 1070GTX. Could you please send us your Editor.log file?
    We will try to address this issue as soon as possible.

Finally - being able to select specific GPU for baking is on our roadmap and we plan to implement it in the next versions of the GPU Ligthmapper. As of now, you may explicitly select which GPU to use when baking with the specific Editor command line argument (see this thread and 'Things to keep in mind' section).

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018