Search Unity

GPU Lightmapper crashes Unity when Light Probe group is present

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by jjejj87, Sep 28, 2018.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

Baking with GPU Lightmapper, Unity crashes when there is a light probe group present in the scene. When the light probe group is disabled or deleted, bakes just fine.

My rig has i7 6700, 32gb ram, Unity 2018.3b3

I couldn't file a bug report because the upon crash, the prompt didn't pop up.

Thanks.

2. V_Kalinichenko

V_Kalinichenko

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    What you experience looks similar to this known issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...hdrp-template-scenes-on-intel-hd-graphics-gpu

1. What baking device is shown in the Lighting window? If it's Intel HD Graphics, could you please switch the GPU used for baking as described here (inside the 'How to select a specific GPU for baking' section) and check whether it reproduces when baking on the discrete GPU?
    2. Could you please also try creating new project in HDRP or Lightweight pipeline and check whether the crash also reproduces while baking the 'SampleScene' in there?

Thanks!

3. jjejj87

jjejj87

for 1. I have a 1070 GPU but Unity crashes as soon as I select that for bake (bug reported)
    It works when I have Intel onboard selected which is fine (I get around 90mRays/s, so usable but only uses 30% of 1070GPU)
    Either way, if I have light probe groups enabled, then it crashes Unity and does not prompt a bug report. I have tested multiple times and it crashes 100% of the time. It may be related to the bug you linked but it seems like a different issue as this one is about light probes. My intel onboard bakes fine (slow but works) as long as there are no light probes.

2. Yes it crashes. Same story as 1. Also, please try to test it first on your end before asking.

3. Please stop asking users to test something on the SampleScene, because it is not a true representation of a scene and many things go unnoticed on that scene. If you want to use the SampleScene meaningfully, please create a large and complex enough scene that can actually expose bugs.

4. Sinbad3D

Sinbad3D

This bug is still present in 2018.3f2

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, 2019.1a14 will contain the fix for random crash when probes are in the scene with GPU lightmapper.

6. Komikom

Komikom

Just tested with 2019.2.11f1 and editor still crashes when Light Probe Group is present and baking with GPU Lightmapper

7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report, this sound like a different issue. You can also try latest 2019.3 or 2020.1 as we did a lot of improvements in those versions.

8. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Hi all,

I still have the same issue since any version post 2019.1.14f1 with high end system (32GB RAM, RTX2080), in any project and any scene.

I reproduced on latest 2019.3.0f3, just submitted a bug report with easy reproducible scenario in simple scene using only default assets: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1208087_nog692hqoiae21ju

I hope this will help you fix it, this is really blocking for us. I'm aware you have many things to do with 2019.3, but we're paying Pro licenses and we're stuck on 2019.1.14f1 for months, which is the latest functional version of GPU PLM because of this, as waiting time for CPU bake is too slow for our iteration requirements. Many important bugfixes were made to runtime errors (especially Android crashes) after 2019.1.14f1, and we need to upgrade to take advantage of them.

Any version after this simply doesn't bake any scene with Light Probes present
    (2 light probe groups works, more than this, 100% fail with any setting).

Notes: Latest nVidia Drivers, using RTX 2080 device for baking, tried with other devices on machine too using the force device command line, nothing helps.

We can't update the game without using lightprobes as we are using 100% baked lighting on mobile. Any hotfix or temporary workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Charles

9. Komikom

Komikom

The only thing I found was to switch to DX12 (Experimental) in Project Settings -> Player, but it was not 100% stable either.

Haze-Games likes this.
  10. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Thanks, I'll also try this as well for my PC projects. However for mobile projects, I'm not sure I can switch to DX12.

11. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, the excessive memory usage when having many Light Probe Groups in the scene is fixed in 2020.1a15.

Haze-Games likes this.
  12. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Wow, that would be super amazing! Thank you for replying. I'm going to this ASAP and let you know if it works on my dei :)

Thanks!
    Charles

13. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Haven't had time to migrate and test on 2020 alpha yet, but wanted to ask:
    Any chances of this fix to be backported to future 2019.3, so that we can switch to this version when it's ready for production, or will we have to wait for 2020 final release to use GPU PLM with light probes?

Thank you,
    Charles

14. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

No, the feature is way too complex to backport and we don't want to risk destabilizing the 2019 version.

15. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Hi,

Wonderful! I confirm it's fixed in 2020.1.0a17! And it's much faster than in our current latest stable GPU baking version 2019.1.14f1 - great job!

That makes us very happy, thank you and your team for fixing this :)

I've had to switch to OpenImageDenoiser because I a system popup mentioning that there was too heavy GPU workload and provoked a GPU Timeout on Windows side when using Optix, but that's OK for me to use OpenImage instead.

I understand I won't be able to upgrade my Unity version until 2020 is production-ready. That's fine, I'll wait on 2019.1.14f1 until thenm just knowing the fix is coming is great.

Thanks!
    Charles

giorgos_unity and KEngelstoft like this.
unityunity