Search Unity

GPU Cloth Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andrii-shpak, Jan 4, 2017.

1. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

1cba69d1-32f1-4143-8397-e579f27b3bd0.png
    GPU Cloth Tools is cloth system for unity. You can make very detailed and fast cloth on it. As input you can use any mesh. It is very ease to configure. Physics is executed on GPU. And supports Unity Wind zone component. Render is based on surface shader, Shadows and all types of light are supported.

Current update is Beta. At now is waiting for upprove on assetstore page

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/79734
    http://www.shpakivnia.com/cloth-tool

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

looks interesting

3. punk

punk

Looks really nice

4. ikazrima

ikazrima

Interesting. Any tutorial video you can share? The documentation on your site is empty.

andrii-shpak likes this.
  5. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I'll add documentation next week. Anyway it is waiting for approve on assetstore.

6. one_one

one_one

Any news on this?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

First hair, now this. And both feel really nice, wonder why you haven't applied for a job at Unity.

hopeful likes this.
  8. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

v1.0.0b was approved today. v1.0.0 is coming this month.

9. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

ikazrima likes this.
  10. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Thanks) Actually, I did half of year ago. But no answer(

11. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I think they will understand what they are missing now... ;)

About the gpu-cloth, will you implement "Cloth Penetration"?
    I need the cothes to NOT go deeper than the rest position, this way the clothes can't go inside the body.
    Using colliders doesn't correctly work in real life scenarios for sleeves and pants that aren't VERY loose. (I know, I have tried for hours)
    I'm stuck with Unity Cloth just because of this feature, wich is buggy and only works when the solver frequency is set insanely high.
    If you could implement "cloth penetration" and cloth self-collision I would buy this in a heart beat :)

one_one likes this.
  12. one_one

one_one

Wee! Any way we could get a demo build, preferably one that lets us stress-test?

Btw, in your demo video, the CPU seems to be the limiting factor with 20 ms, where is that slowdown coming from?

andrii-shpak likes this.
  13. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Cloth self collision is not implemented yet. But I'm working on that.
    It is not obvious to use cloth physics for full pants area. Because of that I've added ability to blend between cloth physics and animation.
    Also I've added swept sphere collider with independent radius. It is very usefull shape to simulate body collision. Also I'm thinking about mesh collider support. But for know I'm not sure if it is possible to save good performance.
    I hope in 2 - 3 months this asset will be useful for you.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  14. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

video was made on GeForce GTX 650 Ti. On my other 960 it works much faster.
    Ok I will add some crash tests soon. I just need to find a good 3d model. Because existing one seems is too detailed

15. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@andrii-shpak
    How does this compare to Obi - Advanced Cloth Simulation or Unity's cloth? Is this using standard colliders, or can you use an actual skinned mesh for collision? Thanks.

16. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

For now only standart colliders + swept sphere.
    I plan to add skinned mesh collision in feature updates. I'm already working on that.

DigitalAdam likes this.
  17. Goldrake

Goldrake

can you provide any performance comparision with unity cloth?

Thank you!

18. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Any updates on this? Thanks.

19. Knightmore

Knightmore

I wonder if there will be a price rise in the future as this says it is still in beta state.

Can't wait to get my hands on this because I loved to play with the hair system. But as I also had some major bugs with it, which andrii and myself had to get rid of, I feel more like waiting until there are some reviews.

20. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

mesh collisions is 80% ready. It should be ready up to the end of this month

DigitalAdam likes this.
  21. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

You can test demo from assetstore page. It has 20k verts.
    So, to compare, you can try to test any 20k mesh with unity cloth.

Lex4art likes this.
  22. Goldrake

Goldrake

i mean the performance impact. I cant check it with the demo

23. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Any updates on this? I'm interested, but I'm a bit reluctant to purchase since it has a high price point without much going on in this forum.

24. Knightmore

Knightmore

It was the same with his hair tools as nearly nobody was posting some feedback in forums. Andrii seems to be a really good developer, but one thing his assets lack of is QA.

I can tell you from the hair tools, that they do a great job but with the inital release there were some annoying bugs we had to get rid of together. Afterwards nearly everything was fine. So I think I will buy this as soon as there will be a sale to compensate some time from maybe occuring bug finding and fixing.

25. Goldrake

Goldrake

The performances are really good, i bought it to support the development. It needs some improvements. But it's really a good piece of software

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  26. DSL-TailorIt

DSL-TailorIt

Hello!

Would this tool work in WebGL? Has anyone tried?

Thank you :)

27. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Not, only dx11 yet

28. DSL-TailorIt

DSL-TailorIt

Alright, thank you kindly :)

29. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

30. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

RC version is available on assetstore: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79734

Release notes:
    -alot of bugs fixed (for now it's pretty stable).
    -assertions added.
    -skinned mesh full support added
    -per vertex weights editor added (weights means skin / physics blend)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  31. pan-master

pan-master

I can't find this demo scene in th the asset

32. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I've bought this 3d Model on Daz market and unfortunatelly according to theirs license rules I can't include it.
    But I've made a tutorial

33. pan-master

pan-master

I dont know how it is computed,but If there is a streach factor, maybe it could be used for things like thight cloths fitting to coliders by creating some streach friction. For example,Lets take a bra as example, you add a bra to the model, then when you hit play you downscale it just a bit, Downscaling would create friction thanks to cloth streaching keeping the bra at the right place, without restricting user to not take if off.

Another thing, what if instead of your costom colider you could create proceduraly small sphere colliders at each mesh collider, and stick to vertexes. If it is too much of comuputing power, maybe it could be reduced by excluding creation of sphere colliders for tings like head fingers, then if still too much, creating sphere colliders only for half of the verticles in selected range.

anohter thing. I have some body simulaiton going like moving breast that are not collider based, it would be nice to have option to stick small sphere collider to vertaxes with softbody physic

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  34. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Are you planning on supporting more platforms (e.g. macOS, iOS, Android, etc) ?

35. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Yes, I'm planning.
    As I know metal and vulcan support compute shaders. So, it should be possible.

36. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

[ If there is a streach factor ] Only elastisy for now. But I'll add it to my feature list.
    [ Mesh collider ] It is a major feature I want to add. It is in progress now. Yes it very hard to compute with good performance. As it requires O(MxN). I've done spatial subdivision. But It still too slow yet.

37. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

Do you also planning on supporting OpenGL platforms? According to the Unity doc, compute shaders should work on Modern OpenGL platforms (OpenGL 4.3 on Linux or Windows; OpenGL ES 3.1 on Android) too.

38. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I'd like to support opengl. It should support but I got compile errors. I plan to close this question next month.

39. pan-master

pan-master

self collision,
    Asigning vertex pos to Objects

40. Discmage

Discmage

Hi! Your plugin looks very useful...although for some reason I am having a lot of difficulty setting it up. I have followed your tutorial but I must be missing something.

Firstly I apply the cloth Setting component to a dress inside a character model, Changed it to skinned, drag the skinned mesh renderer to the slot and press pre-compute...if I try to test the scene the dress does not seem to react to the cloth component at all. Any ideas on why it may not be registering?

Another thing is I am trying to paint vertex setting, but when I hold 'P' the sphere to paint comes up, but as soon as I press left mouse click a selection box comes up instead, and I can't paint weights. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

41. Discmage

Discmage

OK, I seemed to figure it out...I didn't apply the cloth shader to the objects material...after I did that everything worked fine.

Looking good so far!

42. Discmage

Discmage

A problem I seem to be having now is that I have added Line Sphere Colliders for bones on the arms and the mesh does not respond to these at all. The body and legs work fine, but the arms don't at all.

Also, Is the Line Sphere Collider the only one that works with this plugin?

Are there limitations to bones or things to consider for correct rigging of bones in general or arms in particular? Is there something I need to do to make sure the model refreshes what bones it is using? I tried Pre-Computer every time I added a bone but it still didn't seem to register them.

43. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

To register bones you should just add root gameobject (sceleton) to colliders providers list in cloth settings. You dont need press PreCompute.
    For now you can use line spheres and sphere colliders.
    I recomend to use line spheres as it is the best way to describe human body and keep goog performance.

Also you have asked about brush issue. Make sure there no collidets berween editor camera and cloth. I use PhysicsRaycast and it can be blocked.

44. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

self collision still is not ready but, it is in my feature list.
    Asigning vertex pos to Objects. also in my feature list and will be added to next update.

45. oppcmsku

oppcmsku

Would love to use this on MacOS, don't want to push but do you have an ETA on support for metal compute shaders?

46. tinyant

tinyant

Can I simulate a cloth for character by MeshRenderer without skinned mesh.

47. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Yes it is possible. But result is much better when some parts of mesh works as rig.

48. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Yes, dedline is end of July. But I hope it will be faster.

49. u3dxt

u3dxt

50. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak