Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS marker on custom map

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by carlharrison1, Oct 26, 2017.

1. carlharrison1

carlharrison1

Hi all,

I'm not after code but rather a helping hand to where I can start looking to solve this problem.

I want to place a gps location marker over a map of a park. So I have a hand drawn (to scale) map of a wildlife centre and I want to only show this on the screen but have the users location (when they are in the park of course) show up and follow them round the centre.

I have followed tutorials before where I can get a gps marker on google maps, but how can I overlay real world coordinates onto my drawn map.

Can anybody give me a hint here?

Many thanks

2. JBR-games

JBR-games

So im unsure how to get gps coordinates to unity... But once you figure out that part in unity .... Edit... Check this link. http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/344770/how-to-get-gps-coordinates-in-unity-3d.html

so typical gps is degrees , minutes, seconds..
    As long as your map is "near" correct scale..
    DD (decimal degrees)= degrees + (min/60) + (sec/3600) of gps location. so x=0,y=0 in unity location on the map = real world location of xdegs you can make a simple formula that takes your unity location adds the correct degrees to it and transforms it to real world location.. Likely this will need to be an approximate location since your also converting distance to degrees of rotation.. A quick test wold be to check each side of the map in real world location and devide that by the unity size of the map. That should give you an approximate deg per unity unit..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,
    Can I suggest to use a geo localized map and then drop your pins onto it?
    You could even localize the hand drawn (or 3D model) map and show it on top of a 3D world map.
    If you like the hand drawn style for a map you can check out this GO Map style and, of course, my website.
    Bye
    Alan