Search Unity

GPD Baddle (Arkanoid Clone) - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by GregPDesUGD, Nov 11, 2016.

1. GregPDesUGD

GregPDesUGD

Hi, everyone! Progress has been going really slow in this Arkanoid clone I'm building from different circumstances. But a lot of work still needs to be done in order to get the game out.

To reiterate from GPD Baddle (Arkanoid Clone) - Stage 1, this is a clone of Taito's Arkanoid, with the exception of introducing three projection modes: orthographic for that retro 2D feel, perspective without tilt for somewhat a 3D feel, and perspective with tilt for a true 3D feel. Everything is built in 3D.

The game will have 36 levels, 5 bonus levels, different enemies, a variety of powerups, and different styles of play. For instance, you have the option of having your ball go really slow if you’re a beginner, or if you want to fit the style of Arkanoid, which has a big range of speeds. You can also play it in orthographic projection, as I said before, which simply resembles the classic 2D style the classic Arkanoid and Breakout arcades have.

The game will have music and sound effects that are licensed under the Creative Commons license, specifically those where commercialization is allowed. I don’t know yet exactly what the outcome will be, but there will be a link in the game for donations. Taking into some of the input I got with GPD Pong, I’m going to basically do the same procedure as I did in finding the music and sound effects: play what I find online, then listen and think if they are appropriate to use for the game. Like GPD Pong, there will be different music tracks based on difficulty. I think in addition to the difficulty you set at the start, it will also be based on what level you’re in, as some levels have a lot of bricks.

In the original Arkanoid, you can have as many as almost 200 bricks in one level. In this clone, a level can have almost twice as that. The arcade has a 13 by 14 grid with room at the top for enemies to come out. In this clone, the grid is 19 by 24, where you can have 456 bricks at most. The levels are designed after real-world objects and certain iconic figures, so some levels do not have as many bricks, while some have a lot. Don’t be fooled by how less bricks mean less time is needed, as some levels will be more tricky than others.

This is what one of the levels look like:
    Breakout.png

This project has been slow. But I look forward to sharing the game once published and getting some constructive criticism or some feedback that lets me learn new things, because I'm going to need it for my video game co-ops.

After this project, I was originally thinking about working on a big game for the Nintendo Wii U as I'm a member of Nintendo's development program. But I'm probably going to work on smaller projects at the same time as this, because employers really need to see results more than just projects that are in progress. It's the learning realm they want to see, as I must learn new things and apply it quickly.

Otherwise, please share with me any advice you got and what it is I need to learn and do. My next steps are to model the borders of the game field, the paddle and the different states it can be, implement some animation, do some programming, add particle systems, and find music and sound.