Search Unity

Goto Animator Sub-State Machine's entry node and not to a specific state within?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Silly_Rollo, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

With the new Entry / Exit node it seems like I could get away from awkward Trigger / etc usage to control flow directly in script just by triggering to go to an Animator sub state machine, but I can't seem to find any scripting support for changing sub state machines. Crossfade or Play doesn't work and gets a "Animator.GotoState: State could not be found" error and checking Animator.HasState shows false. So I guess they aren't "states"?

Is there a way to do this?

Note I do not want to have to make transitions in the Animator. Looking for a pure script solution here.

2. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

If there really isn't a way to do this via script that feels like a pretty big omission.

3. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Hell is there any API access to sub states? It looks like they are pretty black box. No way to query what the current Sub state is and no way to switch them manually

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

5. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

That isn't what I was asking. I wasn't asking about states but the entire sub-state machine. How do I ask what substate machine I am in? If I hash from AnimatorToHash every single animation state within a sub-state machine I can check the hash vs it but that's pretty awkward.

I guess I can substring the statename but thats pretty hacky too.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    IgorAherne and jwinn like this.
  6. Runemark

Runemark

I'm curious too, an animator.CrossfadeToSubstate method or something like that could give the current mecanim system more power.

Right now I would like to do this:
    I have multiple weapon sets, that is a simple int parameter in the animator. (ex: sword&board = 0, twohanded = 1 ...etc)
    I created an "Attack" sub-state, and put every attack animation in it.

Then from script I would like to trigger in a similar way as the Crossfade function does: animator.Crossfade("Attack", 0.1)
    But this only seems to work with substates,

Update: also, how can I check which sub-state is active in the animator? This doesn't work:
    _animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(3).IsName("Attack")

7. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

You can't ask in which sub state machine the controller is currently at runtime.
    The best you can do is use Tag on animator state to mark all your state that are part of your sub state machine.

So if your sub state machine is called 'attack' then all your state in this state machine should have tag set to 'attack'.
    then at runtime you can do GetCurrentAnimatorState().IsTag("attack");

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo.html
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimatorStateInfo.IsTag.html

SvOzMaS and jwinn like this.
  8. CDF

CDF

Are there any plans to query subStateMachines at run time in the future?

9. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

No not in the near future, it the first time we get a request for this.

You can workaround by using tag to add user information on state.

10. Runemark

Runemark

Thanks for the answare. I figure out something similar, but instead of using tags I made a simple state machine behaviour, that updates the ActiveSubstate string array in my main character controller script.

I didn't know about the tags. Thank you for the information. :)

However this didn't solve the Crossfade problem. I could make a workaround and put an empty state to every substate, and set a transition from the entry node to this empty. It's not enough pretty for me. :D Any idea how could I use something crossfade like with substates?

(I put my state machine behaviour here, maybe somebody find it useful.)

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class UpdateSubStateName : StateMachineBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     public string Name;
    4.     CharacterControl _me;
    6.      // OnStateEnter is called before OnStateEnter is called on any state inside this state machine
    7.     override public void OnStateEnter(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex)
    8.     {
    9.         if(_me == null)
    10.             _me = animator.GetComponent<CharacterControl>();
    12.         Debug.Log(layerIndex);
    13.         _me.ActiveSubstate[layerIndex] = Name;
    14.     }
    16.     // OnStateExit is called before OnStateExit is called on any state inside this state machine
    17.     override public void OnStateExit(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex)
    18.     {
    19.         if(_me == null)
    20.             _me = animator.GetComponent<CharacterControl>();
    22.         _me.ActiveSubstate[layerIndex] = "";
    23.     }
    24. }

11. Bravo_cr

Bravo_cr

Well, I have hit the same wall as you. Can't enter to a Sub-state machine using code without using animator parameters.

12. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

This is a very surprising and strange omission. We were very excited when entry/exit nodes were added, it greatly simplifies our animation setup. Not being able to trigger them manually defeats their purpose for anyone who doesn't want a ton of duplicated logic in code and set up manually in the animation controller :(

IgorAherne likes this.
  13. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

This is on the short term road map, we would like to fix this for 5.2

14. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Excellent news! Will be too late for our current projects, but it will let us set things up in a more comfortable way for the future. Thanks!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Hugbot

Hugbot

@Mecanim.Dev

I was just trying to trigger an animation sub state's entry node, using the new beta version. However when I perform that action I get:
    "Animator.GotoState: State could not be found"

I am using the Unity 5.2.0f1 release candidate version under the assumption that this feature was already added.

The call to the animator is:
    animator.play(<substate machine name>);

I also tried:
    animator.play(<substate machine name>.Entry);

Is there something I may be misunderstanding with regards to how to use this new feature?

dreasgrech likes this.
  16. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

The feature didn't make it in 5.2, so this is expected.
    The feature is still planned and active on our roadmap

17. Hugbot

Hugbot

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    IgorAherne and dreasgrech like this.
  18. Pacosmico

Pacosmico

@Mecanim.Dev @KyleStaves
    ¿This is still not resolved? I'm guessing not, but I think I found a very subtle way to workaround with very low cost to update when it's resolved.
    I'm going to make an empty (basic) state that instantly enters the SubMachine, this way is virtually the same doing Play(SubMachine) as Play(SubMachineEmptyStateDoorThing)

PS: Made it, and it work, I even have the SubState Machine and the EmptyStateDoorThing with the same name (probably will become a problem someday?) The transition between is with an exit time of .0001 instead of 0 because, having it like that (zero) make it bahave like 1 sec or so

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

This is still on the road map.

If an unique name become a constraint you will probably get a warning when you will open your project to fix all your duplicate, So don't worry for now.

Yes this is a know issue.

Pacosmico likes this.
  20. jwinn

jwinn

@Mecanim.Dev Thanks for the suggestion of using tags. For me, this was a good workaround for not being able to tell which sub-state machine you're in. Are these items listed somewhere on the public roadmap? I'm not seeing it; maybe it's under another larger item or it's too small of a feature to list.

Also, are there plans to have an "Any State" node that's local to the sub-state machine? Feedback requests: [1] [2]

21. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi jwinn,

Not all feature are on the public roadmap.
    And for the Any state node local to a sub statemachine it's not planned right now.

22. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Is this feature included in Unity 5.3?

I really, really need this functionality for my project:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. animator.CrossFade("Layer.StateMachine.Entry", ...);

23. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

nope, but it still on the road map for the next release

24. kilik128

kilik128

somethink's Strange with substate any state confict with entry condition

25. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

5.3, maybe? :rolleyes:

26. OnlyFails

OnlyFails

If Unity hasn't disappointed you by now I'm impressed you made it this far mate

27. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

That being 5.4 - is it in the 5.4 beta?

28. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

What's the status on this one?

I am still in great need of this functionality:

Code (CSharp):
    1. animator.CrossFade("Layer.StateMachine.Entry", ...);

Eluem likes this.
  29. wonson

wonson

Maybe we should name the state like this instead.

30. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Came to check in on this again and not surprised to see this is a still maybe someday thing.

31. Xylph

Xylph

Bumped to the problem also. I wanted to transition directly to the StateMachine instead of a specific inside that state machine.This made the Entry node useless. I guess I'll just add a filler state (works like an entry node) for now.

I'm also eager to see Any State transition directly to Exit node. I think it's better if Any State will just refer to the local states within the sub state machine. The sub state machine should be able to handle itself without worrying about other sub state machines. I added an extra boolean parameter for each substate machine just to filter out transitions that will come from other state machines. I set this boolean to true whenever I'm inside the state machine and set it to false after exiting.

IgorAherne likes this.
  32. Matthew-Miller

Matthew-Miller

33. thelebaron

thelebaron

@Mecanim.Dev Any updates? Bumping this because it I'd really like this to be a feature too

jwinn likes this.
  34. thelebaron

thelebaron

Also is this actually on the roadmap as I dont see it listed on the website.

35. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Any news on this?

Are we now able to query if we are in a particular sub-state machine?

36. v01pe_

v01pe_

I've got a good workaround for the local any state node:
    Add this behavior inside the sub state machine (not on any particular state, click on empty space inside the sub state machine):

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class StateMachineActive : StateMachineBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public string syncParameter;
    7.     public override void OnStateMachineEnter(Animator animator, int stateMachinePathHash)
    8.     {
    9.         animator.SetBool(syncParameter, true);
    10.     }
    12.     public override void OnStateMachineExit(Animator animator, int stateMachinePathHash)
    13.     {
    14.         animator.SetBool(syncParameter, false);
    15.     }
    16. }
    Then add a bool parameter e.g. called "in sub" and put the same name in the field of the sub state machine behavior. Now the bool parameter will indicate if currently in the sub state machine and can be added as additional condition for the transition from any state. It's a bit hacky, but works for me.

37. jaybennett

jaybennett

@v01pe_

does that introduce a frame delay?

right now my approach is similar but different. i used an integer parameter to define the "stance" or substatemachine and then use the change in that param to go to different substatemachines.

however, I found that I needed to set this param to 0 to "clear" the state (enter back to the top level state machine) and then wait a frame before setting the desired target substatemachine.

38. v01pe_

v01pe_

@jaybennett

I was curious and made some tests with our character state machine.

Here's a log of states and sub state machines that are travered when our character is idling (default state), walks for a short time and then idles again. We use transition states and the transition time between all states is always 0 (b/c 2d frame by frame animations). The logs are generated by state machine behaviors, that listen to the `OnState(Machine)Enter` and `OnState(Machine)Exit` events, in this format:
    • `Idle` is in the sub state machine `Idle Sub` (hash -1885616935)
    • `Walk` is in the sub state machine `Walk Sub` (hash 195196422)
    • The transition states `Idle To Walk` and `Walk To Idle` are in the parent sub state machine (it's not the root), that contains Idle Sub and Walk Sub
    • `Unused` is a pseudo state (in Walk Sub) that holds no animation, but is a workaround to transition from the `(Sub) Any State` to `Exit` which isn't possible directly.
    A few observations:
    • If the default state (of the whole state machine) is in a sub state machine, we don't get the corresponding `OnStateMachineEnter` callback (!!) in the behavior
    • `OnStateMachineEnter` happens before `OnStateExit` of the parent sub state machine (although transition time is 0)
    • `OnStateMachineEnter` / `OnStateMachineExit` and `OnStateEnter` / `OnStateExit` happen on the same frame
    • We don't get the `OnStateMachineExit` callback (!!) at the transition from `Idle` to `Idle To Walk` (although the latter is in the parent sub state machine), because the transition is directly to the state, rather then to the `Exit` node (and then to the other state) - same goes for `OnStateMachineEnter` if you transition to a state inside a sub state machine directly
    • I found no way of keeping `Unused` to a duration of 0 frames in my setup (not super dramatic if you untick "Write Defaults" in the state)
    • The parent sub state machine never get's Enter/ Exit callbacks, b/c all states and sub state machines are within it.
    Conclusion:
    • There seems to be no frame delay between entering the state and it's sub state machine @jaybennett
    • A real `Any Sub State` would be nice!
    • Always use the `Entry` and `Exit` nodes if you depend on the `OnStateMachineEnter/Exit` callbacks, rather than transitioning directly from states to states in the parent/sub state machine. I'd say it is a bug, that the callbacks aren't triggered otherwise. /cc @Mecanim-Dev

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  39. v01pe_

v01pe_

I ran another quick test, with a test state in the sub state machine that has the behavior I posted 2 days ago. When I add a transition from the `Entry` node to this test state if the bool parameter is true (that the behavior sets) it will use that transition and go to the test state rather than to the default state of that sub state machine. So there definitly seems to be no delay happening.

40. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Exactly, those callback are badly named, it should be OnStateMachineEntryNode/OnStateMachineExitNode, those callback are only triggered when a transition pass by the entry/exit node, It's not a bug, it the expected behaviour.

Also those callback are not called at the same time than all the other callback, they are called while we do evaluate the statemachine to allow you to choose where you want to transition. Also as soon as you define one callback OnStateMachineEntryNode/OnStateMachineExitNode the whole statemahcine evaluation is not multithreaded anymore as we need to call script code.

41. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

@Mecanim-Dev, need this feature badly!
    Rather, give a callback to StateMachine once any state inside of it is entered, or when the state machine is exited

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  42. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

I will contribute a little. I've made an observation that OnStateUpdate() is called for StateMachineBehaviour that sits on StateMachine, while any state inside of that stateMachine is active.

As long as you have a Singleton in your scene which is dispatching Updates(), you can use the following code instead of StateMachineBehaviour:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. // Igor Aherne 01/27/2017, MIT license
    6. // igor.aherne.business@gmail.com
    7. // https://www.youtube.com/user/Kapurod
    8. //
    9. // This class allows you to automatically invoke Enter and Exit function as the state (or stateMachine)
    10. // holding this script is entered / exited.
    11. // Inherit from this class instead of StateMachineBehavior, or extend the functionality of my class:
    12. public abstract class AutomaticSMBehavior : StateMachineBehaviour {
    14.     #region internal vars
    15.         //true if this object got OnEnter called already, but not yet OnExit().
    16.         [System.NonSerialized]
    17.         protected bool _initialized = false;
    19.         [System.NonSerialized]
    20.         protected Animator _animator;
    21.         [System.NonSerialized]
    22.         protected int _layerIndex = -1;
    24.         [System.NonSerialized]
    25.         float prevUpdateTime = float.MinValue;
    26.         // '2' if we just ran UpdatedByCore and unity no longer invokes this state's (or stateMachine's) OnStateUpdate():
    27.         // '1' if we just ran UpdatedByCore()
    28.         // '0' if we just ran OnStateUpdate(), invoked by unity, meaning we are still inside of our state.
    29.         [System.NonSerialized]
    30.         int _abandonment_ix = 0;
    31.     #endregion
    35.     //Called by unity, EVEN when our nested state gets played (if we are a stateMachine).
    36.     //Therefore, we cannot rely that the supplied 'stateInfo' is really us and not our sub-state machine.
    37.     //however, we can use layer and animator, - they are definitelly ours.
    38.     public override void OnStateUpdate(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex) {
    40.         // notice, will be called multiple times, if OUR state has sub-states which are transitioning
    41.         // into each other, inside of us. Therefore, we will prevent getting multiple update invocation:
    42.         if(Time.time == prevUpdateTime) {
    43.             return;
    44.         }
    47.         //else, function is ran for the first time in this Frame:
    48.         prevUpdateTime = Time.time;
    50.         #region initialization stage:
    51.         if (_initialized == false) {
    52.             //otherwise, initialize:
    53.             _initialized = true;
    54.             Core.instance.registerForUpdate(this.UpdatedByCore);
    56.             _animator = animator;
    57.             _layerIndex = layerIndex;
    58.             _abandonment_ix= 0;
    60.             OnEnter();
    61.         }
    62.         #endregion
    65.         //show that OnStateUpdate() was ran in this frame.
    66.         _abandonment_ix = 0;
    68.         OnUpdate();
    69.     }
    73.     //hooked up to the singleton called "Core". We hooked up this function to Core.update delegate:
    74.     void UpdatedByCore() {
    75.         _abandonment_ix++;
    78.         if(_abandonment_ix > 1) {
    79.               //Unity no longer runs OnStateUpdate(), meaning the state (or stateMachine) is no longer current.
    80.             Leave();
    81.         }
    82.     }
    86.     private void Leave() {
    87.         //reset flag variables and references:
    88.         _initialized = false;
    89.         _animator = null;
    90.         _layerIndex = -1;
    91.         _abandonment_ix = 0;
    93.         Core.instance.unregisterForUpdate(this.UpdatedByCore);
    94.         OnExit();
    95.     }
    98.     protected abstract void OnEnter();
    99.     protected abstract void OnUpdate();
    100.     protected abstract void OnExit();
    101. }

As you can see, the code gives you 3 callbacks - one when the state or any subState is executed for the first time,
    one when we get an update from our state or any sub-state, 1 when we no longer get updates (meaning we left the state and its subStates)

I used my own singleton, called Core to invoke updates.

Notice, we store a reference to Animator, and have access to our layer, but we don't have information about AnimatorStateInfo.

That's intended, - unfortunatelly, we cannot get AnimatorStateInfo, since it could belong to our sub-states (we would be getting updates along with them as well)

How it works:
    The idea is that our Core singleton will be invoking updates no matter what, but Unity willl stop invoking as soon as state is exited. This allows us to "capture" the moment when the two functions stop running in parallel

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  43. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Actually it will not work, I've just encountered that if we call Animator.CrossFade into some state, unity will continue invoking OnStateUpdate on the previous StateMachine as if we are still inside of it . Goddamn

44. kindingerlek

kindingerlek

@Mecanim-Dev

There is some plan to crossfade between substates ? At moment, we can create transitions between them from the editor, but for every state inside of substate needs link to exitNode.

45. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

I'm not sure I understand the question, you can already crossfade between all state in a controller, by substates do you mean statemachine?

46. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

@kindingerlek, @Mecanim-Dev we need a possibility to hit the "Enter" and "Exit" nodes directly, from anything that's inside any sub-state machine.

We understand that it would require considering a larger number potential destination sub-state machines (their Enter nodes) and any of their states, but would be an enormous simplification to the Mecanim. In fact, it would be the True Encapsulation that Mecanim was dreaming about for so long.

Each sub-state machine has its own exit node that can be hit by any state within that machine, including "Any state--->Exit", including "Enter--->exit".

And please make it trigger appropriate StateMachineBehavior callbacks, so that we can cross-fade into a sub-state machine (and unity will decide what we really mean by that, will select appropriate destination state from that Enter node), not just a "cross fade into state" - which would bypass any of the callbacks :(

Just make it happen, damnit!

47. chrismarch

chrismarch

Yes, this whole thread is asking for the ability to interact with StateMachines via the Animator class as we can with AnimatorController. This seems the most straightforward way to follow the advice of mecanim devs to "avoid Any State transitions in favor of crossfade" for nontrivial projects where StateMachines typically are what you are crossfading to conceptually, even though Animator currently only allows you to crossfade to one of the States in our StateMachines. The fact that Animator can't query the current StateMachine is another example of how the current Animator interface fights the inevitable structuring of nontrivial animations into StateMachines with multiple States.

clownhunter, Alic and Nairda_Draziw like this.