Search Unity

Got the new Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickavv, Aug 20, 2006.

1. nickavv

nickavv

And man is it awesome. I can like... Right click. And Scroll Wheel n' stuff. Man, It rocks. n_n

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Wish I had known you were looking for one, you could'a bought mine! ;) If it had a -real- left / right mouse button, I would keep it. But it messes up my right clicks about 50% of the time...

3. nickavv

nickavv

I just keep my fingers away from the middleish area of the mouse and it seems to work fine.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There's something deeply wrong about mice when people say "oh my! the right click and the scroll actuall works!". Hey, haven't both been a solved issue for some ten years by now (in all other mice except Apple's that is)? :roll:

5. anadin

anadin

Yeah it's mad isn't it, I have been using M$ mouse with my mac since I 'switched' back when OS X 10.0 came out :?

Saying that, I really want a mighty mouse, bought one for my father in law and I love it!

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Me too. Microsoft is really good at making mice. If they would just drop all the other products and focus on their mice, the world would be a better place :)

7. marty

marty

Obviously, you're a right-hander. ;-)

8. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I have a Kensington mouse that looks like it could win some car races if it tried. I like it quite a bit and tit has lasted a long time.

http://images.acco.com/KENSINGTON/K72127/K72127-4618.jpg

I tried a Mighty Mouse once and it was nice but kind of wierd at first. I really like the scrolly ball even though it is so tiny. I love that I can scroll sideways.

9. taumel

taumel

@Joachim
    Nice to see that also the otee crew has somekind of humour... ;O)

10. Morgan

Morgan

The right-click on the Mighty Mouse either works well or doesn't depending on your habits of holding your hand. For me it's not so good.

But I like Apple's shape/comfort better than anything else out there (I want a mouse not an armrest!) and so I often toss aside my 5-button MS mouse and use my old Apple one-button from my eMac. When I get my next Mac, I probably WILL use the Mighty Mouse--sometimes.

And the Bluetooth one would make a great travel mouse for my PowerBook, small and rounded.

I wish they'd let you buy your Mac with a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse. Seems you can't mix-n-match though.

11. BadMonkey

BadMonkey

They did let you specifiy a wireless upgrade kit instead of the wired mouse keyboard, but I think that option went when the mighty mouse was released - maybe they will reintroduce that.

With the right mouse button I find it triggering sometimes when I perform a left-click - again, I suppose it depends how you hold a mouse, but without a positive action you don't know how hard you can grip the mouse before it registers.

Paul

12. Mindless_Soul

Mindless_Soul

I've used the mighty mouse quite a bit and have only one complaint; You cannot press both the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously (for programming/gaming purposes). I really don't understand why people have such a deep, passionate hate for it.

13. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

Mindless_Soul is right, the Mighty Mouse is really a one button mouse since the OS only registers one type of click at a time.

My biggest concern has been that the wheel gets dirty and then ceases to function. If you're not willing to perform surgery on the mouse, then there's no way to clean it, and so my mouse no longer scrolls along the y-axis; certainly one of the more useful parts of any mouse. I've tried all the cleaning methods listed online, and they worked for me previously, but it was a matter of days before it was broken again.

Those two aspects make the Mighty Mouse poor industrial design.

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think it's because Apple prides itself so much on their great user experience that some people get pissed off that they'd be so stubborn as to make a psuedo two button mouse. And they have a history of horrible mice...

The iMac "puck" mouse which sucked because it's circular shape would slightly rotate in your hand causing unexpected movement.

The horrible "mouse top as button" for the G4s... you couldn't take it off of the surface without accidentily releasing the button which made it super annoying for detailed work.

Why can't they just make a slick "brushed metal" type of two button mouse with a regular scroll wheel? I know Apple always has to "innovate", but for some reason they always get the mouse dead wrong.

15. Marble

Marble

I think their Pro Mouse is excellent. I have since graduated to a more traditional and fuller-featured Kensington, but I like the feel and seamlessness of the Pro Mouse.

16. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

If you want to talk about where Apple should go with disign and innovation, they should get rid of the mouse altogether and make OS X support multiple input touchscreens. That would be real innovation for the desktop computer, and if people wanted to use a mouse (still one of the best inputs for controlling games), that should be supported too (not to mention supporting people who can't afford the expensive multi-touch-sensitive monitors).

17. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Did you ever try holding up your hand for 8 hours straight?

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Eye pupil tracking is the way to go, no strain there :wink:

Or of course you can wait for the "mighty brain"... a neural input mouse in development from Apple. Just "concentrate" on where you want the mouse to go and presto! It's magic! Unfortunately, to do a right mouse click you have to meditate on the Zen paradox of the sound of one hand clapping.

19. Morgan

Morgan

I think that Apple's perfectionism and attention to detail causes even small mistakes to really stand out and bother people. Examples:

* Right-mouse functionality that could work for everyone--but instead, works for "many" people.

* Great UI design... peppered with grating inconsistencies like two kinds of metal, and three kinds of toolbar that do the same thing.

* Amazingly cool, sleek, shiny hardware... making you notice each crack or scratch all the more.

* Slim, minimalist laptops with perfect fit and finish... except for just a bit of warp on the aluminum lid, which may be true of almost any laptop, but you never notice on a less "perfect" design.

We've all used computers that crash if you so much as look at them funny. Now you've made it literal.

20. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hey, don't make fun of cross-eyed people, that's not very nice. I'm sure Apple will make a "Universal Access" feature that horizontally flips the Desktop for them :wink:

Anyway, I have two Apple laptops, both refurbs. One of them the lid closes askew, the other has a weird bump on the front. It has zero influence on performance, but still annoys me a little. Most people say Apple is a hardware company, but I love the OS more than anything else they do. I 've had my main laptop for 2 1/2 years and have had zero problems so far. My Windows 2000 computer on the other hand is a mess of an OS held together by prayers and swears at this point.

21. BadMonkey

BadMonkey

I had the ball stop scrolling down and I tried alll the methods I found on the web ... and even watched the apple on-line video tutorial on how to clean it (!) ... all to no avail ... until I found someone suggesting using a screen-wipe or screen cleaner on a cloth and ..... bingo ... it's working fine for now. So if you haven't come across that solution yet then give it a whirl.

Paul

22. podperson

podperson

I'm surprisingly impressed by the mighty mouse that came with my Mac Pro. I'm a longtime fan of Microsoft (!) and Logitech mice, and was willing to discard my Mighty Mouse at the first annoyance. The "squeeze" button is rubbish (often gets false positives), but everything else works well EXCEPT you can't "chord" the left and right mouse buttons (which has exactly *one* use -- mouse movement in World of Warcraft).

23. Morgan

Morgan

Two uses :) Spiral-firing rocket clusters in UT.

If I use one as my travel mouse, I might make squeeze and right-click BOTH do alt-fire. I don't get false positives from squeezing (just the luck of the way I hold it I guess) but then I could squeeze-click for spiral rockets.

24. Mindless_Soul

Mindless_Soul

EXACTLY what I was referring to :D

http://www.macmice.com/mousebt.html

Apple should ship this with the mac pros instead; This is the mouse I use. It's a little weird at first (the plastic on the top jiggles up and down on the front a bit), but you get used to it.

And not a bad price for a BT mouse either...

25. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Judging from the large number of WoW specific items in Tiger updates, I'd guess Apple would really listen to that feedback. :)

26. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I unfortunately own the corded version of that. It blows... the jiggling I will never get used to. The top part of the case (the buttons) is all one piece and is basically separate from the rest of the mouse. The buttons will only work if you have it pressed against a hard surface. The thing barely works on a plastic mouse pad, the sensor is really bad compared to other optical mice in my opinion. It feels cheap, and when I tried to return it the day I got it, I never got a response until three months later. "Server problems" or something. So somehow they knew I sent them an email, but didn't know what I said in it? And don't bother with calling them. If you search the net there is a lot of bad rap about this company. Sorry for the rant.

-Jon

27. Morgan

Morgan

Yeah, I seem to recall they are the ones who started a fake rumor site with made-up info, just to draw traffic to the ads for their mice. And other shady dealings, although that's the only one I experienced first hand. Didn't they also sell plate-holders as laptop-holders (cool, why not?) and falsely claim they were custom-designed just for them (not so cool)? I just vaguely recall lots of pretty funny stunts they have pulled--some disturbingly dishonest, like claiming someone was their lawyer when he wasn't... and getting caught in the lie because--by bad luck--the guy WAS the lawyer for the other company being contacted :D Something like that.

A shame, since they seem to have some neat products (the ones that really ARE custom-designed)--and I never heard anyone complain that they took anyone's money and ran without delivering anything. They don't seem to be THAT shady.

28. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

29. Morgan

Morgan

Wow, that keyboard is going to cost a mint! The 3-key keypad is US$160!!

But somehow, I will justify buying one. That's about the coolest thing ever.

And then wow, will I feel bad when it starts to wear out!

I see that it uses OLED--which I understand goes dim and yellow in less than a year, if the device is used for long hours. It lacks the longer life that LCDs have.