Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Goon Studios - Project Keipr

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by disturbing, Jul 31, 2013.

1. disturbing

disturbing

Hey Unity Community!

We are excited to introduce Goon Studios, a group of talented Goons from all over the gaming industry working out of sunny southern California.

I'm personally compelled to reach out to the Unity Community extra early since this grand plan can only be made possible by working with the many talented developers with any level of experience. Now before I lose you! Let's talk about what that statement really means.

Our tech team grew up modding popular MMO games. This was an amazing experience because there were different tasks from simple scripting or data mining to insane mechanics and services. These lessons not only gave us an education far beyond most universities, but powerful tools which became the core of our game development.

We are going back to our roots and changing the way people think MMO games should be developed. Keipr is an open world RPG, utilizing 7 years of developed MMO technology, where the player will be submersed in a breathtaking world that can be altered in any way. In this world, a player will have the opportunity to earn or claim land. What you build on your land is limited to your imagination. If homesteading isn't your style, try bounty hunting, exploring, living off the land or search out arcane secrets spread across a living globe filled with tens of thousands of players.

The Unity Community will be able to contribute to this game and work together in making amazing content while learning a ton. Overall, Goon Studios simply wants to do more than just entertain millions.

This forum post is the home of updates, questions and answers about our awesome endeavor.

If you're in the LA area, very excited for Keipr Online and uber talented using Unity3D, feel free to email us here.

Help us by following this post, sharing and liking our updates on Facebook about what we are doing with Unity and how Keipr Online will change the way game developers make MMOs.

3D Shader test October 9th, 2013

Here's a couple concept images for your liking:

$Derert ruins.png $keiprpromo1.jpg $keiprpromo2.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Nice looking art.

3. disturbing

disturbing

Thanks Khelton!

What do you guys want to see next, 3D Progress, 2D Character Design or 2D environment concept?

4. primus88

primus88

I would love to see some 2D character design, thank you :)

5. jjsuperspy

jjsuperspy

i would want to see EVERYTHING!!!

but really like the art looks awesome :D

6. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

The concept art has a very strong visual style. I look forward to seeing how much of that carries over into 3d. :)

7. disturbing

disturbing

As per your request, here's two male concepts for Keipr Online.

$ninja_style_character_concept.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. ambitious_sound

ambitious_sound

Looks fantastic, especially the wallpaper with the girl, very another world eric chahi, but with a twist.

9. primus88

primus88

Ok... the art is just plain awesome.
    You are a lucky person since you managed to find 9 talented people to join you.
    Can you give some details about the team ?
    Is it paid work ? Full-time / part-time ? Any plugin you will use for online part, or it will be developed in house ?

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Very nice flat-shaded vector-style artwork. There's something about a lack of details/textures that says `easy to look at` - makes less work for the brain ;-)

11. disturbing

disturbing

Thanks!

It took years to build this team and the technology to make this project a feasible goal for the company. Some of us have been working together for over 8 years.

So far, the entire team is working full time in one location. It's paid work, but way below industry standard. Hopefully that will change once we reach alpha in the future!

All online connectivity plugins/code is in-house. We have 3 years of unity tools and 7 years of MMO tools. We plan on making them available as we open up and start building the community.

Haha, Awesome! I guess you'd like to see her in-game concept next then :)?

12. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Is there any gameplay or programming done? You mentioned it has been years building the team and tech. I always enjoy art, but I enjoy seeing the meat and potatoes of the project, if its feasible, etc

13. disturbing

disturbing

Unfortunately we are not sharing and of our in game progress until the engine is tuned to our style. As for gameplay / programming, that stuff is underway. Although, I'd like to clarify that the years of building the team and tech is from previous projects. The project started July 1st and it will be very easy to transition a lot of our MMO tech to this game.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  14. Sooshi

Sooshi

can't wait to see more

15. disturbing

disturbing

Awesome blizzard + cape concept.

$blizzard_concept.jpg

16. disturbing

disturbing

17. AlexanderTh4682

AlexanderTh4682

Hands down best character I've ever seen, great work!

18. disturbing

disturbing

Glad you like the concept art! Hard to believe it's the best you've ever seen hahaha.

Here's the new concept for the week. Female! Also new Keipr Logo attached to the image.

$female_character.jpg

19. THEThomas

THEThomas

When you say "globe" do you imply an actual 3d sphere? The art looks great, i'd love to see a game actually look like this. kinda like an adult zelda!! is your 3d going to look exactly like the art?

20. disturbing

disturbing

Thanks for your questions Thomas,

Yes, the globe will be 3D. IF you run in one direction, you will eventually end up at the same spot.

We are shooting for multiple shaders to make the 3D look exactly like the art.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  21. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Any 3D or programming yet? Art style is nice, waiting to see some of it come to fruition

22. disturbing

disturbing

3D is looking great so far, we are not ready to reveal it until we tune our shaders for the environment.

Programming is underway as well, but won't be showing off any functionality until later this year.

Expect some 3D in the next week or two!

Sorry for the late reply.

23. - Tilveran -

- Tilveran -

Very interesting project. It sounds like you have many years of hard work ahead :D

I'm very interested in MMO's because of the persistence, and just walking around in a virtual world created by the collective dream of many people is a powerful experience. It's much more than a book or a movie, or a still image. Good luck with it.

24. disturbing

disturbing

Thanks a bunch Tilveran! Definitely excited.

We will be sharing a lot of the tools and development methodologies throughout the process. But definitely expect something out next year.

---

On a side note, the Goon Studios website was just updated:

Check It out HERE

25. disturbing

disturbing

New 3D Shader test video is up

Slowly leaking out what's been going on.

26. Kuattro

Kuattro

We created a making of video for Keipr Online. The video shows how we created the toon look in the game.

27. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Absolutely love the art style looks brilliant! :D

28. KubeX

KubeX

The art work really stands out nicely. Can't wait to see how this project turns out.

29. dr-electro

dr-electro

Art looks amazing and i like the combination of fantasy and sci-fi!
    Will it be free to play?

30. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I´m in love with this project! It´s amazing!

31. newb_quest

newb_quest

Great work guys, very exciting stuff. Also love the art style and the flat shading. Looking forward to seeing what comes next and best of luck!

32. Kuattro

Kuattro