Search Unity

Google translate for different languages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamohtVII, May 14, 2019.

1. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I am a solo dev looking to minimise cost as much as possible. My game is a driving game with minimal text dialog (No voice acting) like "Play", "Buy" a few intro sentences and tutorial levels.
    Would I get away with using google translate to make it available to different languages? I feel a racing/drifting game would target japan a lot so would want to have the option for them (And others).
    Anyone had any experience or bi-lingual and know that google translate is good/bad?
    I'm no AAA developer so not expecting a flawless 100% $100,000 game here. Just looking to make it slightly more accessible.

Thanks

2. Probably not. I would rather hire someone on Fiverr to translate them properly, if it's not too much text, they do it for a reasonable price.

Google translate is neat to understand a foreign language or even to get a clue if you want to talk in a foreign language, but I wouldn't release anything substantial using it, it's still too error prone. Maybe a couple of years from now.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

4. Baste

Baste

For single-word translations, you could try to use the Microsoft Language portal. You can search for a translation of a word, and it'll give you a list of how that word has been translated in a bunch of Microsoft products, together with definitions.

We've used that in a pinch for last minute additions to menus, after the "proper" translation has landed.

For even simple sentences, you should probably get somebody to do them for you. If it's an indie game and a sentence or two, you could get away by having it done by non-professionals (ie. fans) if you can find somebody interested.

Ryiah and Ony like this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I would only use Google Translate for early betas, while your game is still under significant development prior to getting the real translations done.

For proof, just try reading some of the threads here where the OP has obviously just used Google to translate their question. Often unreadable.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. Ony

Ony

English: It probably will just end up confusing people, sad to say. I think the Fiverr route mentioned above is your best bet. We're going to be doing something similar soon, so this thread is good to see.

Japanese: おそらく悲しいことに、それはおそらく混乱している人々になるでしょう。 私は上記のFiverrのルートがあなたの最善の策だと思います。 近いうちに似たようなことをやろうとしているので、このスレッドを見るのは良いことです。

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

8. Original English: It probably will just end up confusing people, sad to say. I think the Fiverr route mentioned above is your best bet. We're going to be doing something similar soon, so this thread is good to see.

Hungarian: Valószínűleg csak végül zavarba kerül az emberek, szomorú. Azt hiszem, a fent említett Fiverr útvonal a legjobb téted. Hamarosan hasonló dolgokat fogunk tenni, így ez a szál jó látni.

Retranslated to English: Probably only finally, people get embarrassed, sad. I think the above mentioned Fiverr route is your best bet. Soon we will do similar things, so this thread is good to see.

Ony likes this.
  9. Ony

Ony

English: It probably will just end up confusing people, sad to say. I think the Fiverr route mentioned above is your best bet. We're going to be doing something similar soon, so this thread is good to see.

Cockney: Awright geeezzaa! It probably'll just end up confusin' people, sad ter say. I fnk da Fiverr route mun'ioned above is yaaahr best bet. We're gon'a be doin' somethin' similar soon, so dis fread is good ter see. Sorted mate.

Leet Speak: 17 p208481y w111 ju57 3nd up c0nfu51n9 p30p13, 54d 70 54y. 1 7h1nk 7h3 f1v322 20u73 m3n710n3d 480v3 15 y0u2 8357 837. w3'23 901n9 70 83 d01n9 50m37h1n9 51m1142 500n, 50 7h15 7h234d 15 900d 70 533.

Shakespearean: 't belike wilt just end up confusing people, depress'd to sayeth. I bethink the fiverr route mentioned above is thy most wondrous did bet. We're going to beest doing something similar lief, so this thread is valorous to see.

Dothraki: Me probably tikh disse nakho yatholat confusing chomak, khezhat tat astat. Anha think jin fiverr route mentioned above ajjin yeri davra bet. Kisha're elat tat tikh doing adakha similar ahhaz, ma jin thread ajjin davra tat tihat

annnnnddd... I'm done for the day.

Ryiah, Lurking-Ninja and Socrates like this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

In addition to Fiverr, there's also professional services who provide translation and localisation services. Depending on your budget these could potentially give you more reliable results?

Neat!

There's also a public Google Doc somewhere which is really neat. It's a list of words and common phrases used in different contexts, with translations into different languages for each context. Only intended for simple things like UIs and labels, but pretty cool. If only I could find the link again...

Ony likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ony likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Klingon: jIchegh neH qabna'Daj 'oH woDDI' mIS nuvpu', 'IQ vIjatlh. fiverr He mentioned wovbe' nIvbogh bet ghaHlaw'. He'mIn'or vay' nagh Qu' tugh, vaj Surgh QaQ vIlegh.

Back to English: It probably will just end up confusing people, sad to say. I think the Fiverr route mentioned above is your best bet. We're going to be doing something similar soon, so this thread is good to see.

I was bored waiting for a commit and found a translator on a whim. What can I say? :p

Ony and Lurking-Ninja like this.