Search Unity

Feedback Google Stamping down Unity3D.com... Strategic UnityPlayer Idea

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by cyanspark, Mar 27, 2022.

1. cyanspark

cyanspark

Many thousands of UnityPlayer games are lost in shadowy haunts throughout the web, discoverable to the valliant questers who hammer relentlessly at their keyboards, invested in very time-consuming internet searches...

There's no central server on Unity3D which can tell us who has published UnityPlayer releases and which have the highest rating...

Unity can later implement a mini-Steam index for all the UnityPlayer games on the web, thereby combatting the power of Playstore and Appstore, promoting Unity.com and the developers, simply by adding an UnityPlayer opt-in form called "List my game on the UnityPlayer game index", so that UnityPlayer can phone home and inform the world of it's existence and URL to unity mini-Steam archive listing.

Is it only me being paranoid or is it in Google's interests to fragment the online games community and deprecate Unityplayer and funnel the world onto Android playstore games?

Once opted in for listing, a UnityPlayer game would be listed in the unity3D mini-Steam games archive, including game type, theme, tags and user rating... The User ratings would be "Good Attempt" for the lowest rated 25% of games, then "Cool Coding" "Popular" and "Excellent" for best.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  2. cyanspark

cyanspark

I say this because I'm not getting started :) where is safari velociraptor online game from 2012? https://www.unity3dgames.eu/off-road-velociraptor-safari/ ...

NOT PLAYABLE? is it just me or is my browser not supporting unityplayer, and there is no "download game" option for my C:/ based unityplayer?

If you have a crossplatform game player which is standalone maybe that would fix the issues, of the entire Unity online games scene being not playable on the web?

I just had a go on the webGL demo page of Unity.Com and ... Crash... no games running on chrome latest or firefox... Basically the unity 3d online gaming cooperative, collective, archive, whatever you want to call it is disparate, lost, and the only way you are going to fix that is by giving developers an option to index their online games to a central server.

I guess an Indy dev could start a repository of indexed games by providing a URL callback script.

Either way,

3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Nobody uses browser plugins anymore. All major browsers stopped supporting them years ago, Flash included.

4. cyanspark

cyanspark

Yes indeed... WebGL is not OK either. Don't you think that Unity should have games store like Google and Apple with a cross-platform player that runs from PC OS's? That would mean that all the old UnitPlayer projects like Velociraptor Safari can still exist, just like Mame supports 100ds of different depricated engines, Unity can support it's own unityplayer and webgl engine emulators?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  5. JoNax97

JoNax97

No. Unity is in the business of creating tools for game-making, not game distribution.