Search Unity

Question Google sign in vs GooglePlayGames sign in

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by Holmes555, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Holmes555

Holmes555

Hello,
    I wnat to understand difference between Google sign in option with using Google Play Games plugin for Unity v10.14 and below which uses Play Games Services v1 SDK (description here) vs GooglePlayGames sign in option with using Google Play Games plugin for Unity v11.01 and above which recommends using Play Games Services v2 SDK (description here).

Because for me it seems like Unity just took two versions of the same library and named them differently. First it was just Google Play Games sign in (which actually they renamed to just Google) and the usage was the same as now in Google. I implemeted that old Google sign in with Authentication service - 1.0.0-pre.37 and it worked as Google Play Games and now they making it as Google sign in.

My main question is: what's changed or is it the same approach but using different versions of Google Play Games plugin for compatibility? Should I move to the newest one and the functioning would be the same?

P.S. My old version Google Play Games plugin started to failed on build because of:
    Assets\AssetStore\GooglePlayGames\OurUtils\PlatformUtils.cs(34,39): error CS0246: 
    The type or namespace name 'AndroidJavaObject' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    or
    Assets\AssetStore\GooglePlayGames\OurUtils\PlatformUtils.cs(33,30): error CS0246: 
    The type or namespace name 'AndroidJavaClass' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

2. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hi Holmes555,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm speaking with our Authentication team about that to get some clarification on that question. Essentially, we are working on adding some better reasoning to avoid confusion for the game developers, so it's a work in progress at the moment.

what's changed or is it the same approach but using different versions of Google Play Games plugin for compatibility? Should I move to the newest one and the functioning would be the same?

I'll try to get my hands on a response to that exact question, but rest assured we are working on clarifying this for you all!

3. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry I might sound like I'm just repeating the docs, but the gist of it is that the old version (v10.14) should be used for Sign In With Google, and the new version (v11.01) should be used for Sign in With Google Play Games. So if your current implementation goes against either of those rules, I suggest moving to the one that applies!