Search Unity

Google Play - Uploading a private game?

Discussion in 'Android' started by SuperNoctiz, Jan 10, 2015.

1. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

Hello, this is a bit stupid question, I think, but before wasting 25$ I was wondering if it's possible to upload a game into Google Play Store and making it not visible/private?

I want to do this because I'm developing a simple game for android and I want my friends to try it and give feedback. The thing is, I don't want to make public a game that's still in such early development.

Thanks.

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Could you just not make the APK file available to them on your website?

3. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

True, I thought of that, but then they would have to go through that stuff of enabling the installation from unknown sources and installing over and over again everytime I upload a new version instead of just downloading and getting updates automatically.

But I suppose it's not possible what I asked in the first place then? That's a bummer.

edit: I think I found that there is an Alpha/Beta "system" available in Google Play, so I might work with that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    jococo likes this.
  4. jococo

jococo

Nice! Is the "system" easy to access? I can't seem to find it ...

5. jococo

jococo

6. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

Oh! Sorry I forgot to post the link, thank you for finding it!
    So yeah, it seems easy enought, haven't tried it yet. Can't register right now, maybe monday or something I'll try it out.
    If someone happens to do it before then, I'll be grateful for some feedback :)

jococo likes this.
  7. jococo

jococo

I'll give you feedback if you are able to feedback mine when I get it up and running

8. junglemason

junglemason

Google's new Alpha/Beta system is a DELIGHT. You can connect it to a Google Group and make it public or private, and have separate Groups for Alpha and Beta. The biggest drawback is that distribution time can take minutes or a day. Not great for rapid iterations.

SuperNoctiz likes this.
  9. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

Jococo, I meant feedback about this system.

I've been working with it since sunday now and it's working perfectly! I'm pretty impressive with the system, this is all new to me since it's my actual first game I'm publishing ever.
    It does take some time to distribute, but it's way better then asking my friends one by one to download it and install every time there is a new build.

10. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Can I ask a quick question? I don't think making a new thread will be a good idea.
    When you post a game on Play Store , how can people online on google play see it? I was online on Google Play like 20 minutes ago and when I clicked on New Releases , there were only games with highest ratings and most games were not new but were getting updates. I don't know how to check the actual new games developed by people like us.
    Do we need to promote the game further? How? Thanks.

11. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Yes you do need to promote your own game.

Google wont do anything for you aside from provide the storefront.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  12. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Oh I see , thanks ...... That's rather disappointing :( But I guess if you publish a good game , you'll definitely get attention , like Shadowgun , that was also made in Unity :)