Search Unity

Google Play Subscription Upgrade / Downgrade

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by eylulatilgan, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JeffDUnity3D this issue appears much time. so please check it

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

And now i have a problem when update subscription in android:

When a player subscribed to a pack named Pack 1 (pack 1 month, in testing environment time duration is 5 minutes) which has a duration of 5 minutes. At the 2nd minute, the player upgrades to Pack 2 and in the Google Play, the subscription displays it will renew on the 5th minute. But at the 5th minute, we notice that the subscription renew status has not changed and we do not get an email for order receipt (this email notifies about billing information). However, if the client/server call Google API for billing status, it still shows that the subscription is still active and the order ID is not changed, and the properties "expiryTimeMillis" get increased.

The player is recognized as a subscriber of pack 2 and can not re-subscribe it. We think that the player is not getting charged for Pack 2, but have no obvious clue to confirm it. There is an abnormal number for the expired time of Pack 2 attached with the player.

When purchase pack1 we get receipt with order id: GAP.xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. after purchase pack1 we upgrade to pack2 have new order id GAP.xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
    expect pack2 will auto-renew at the end of pack 1 with new order id: GAP.xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx..0 but pack 2 not auto-renew and order still is GAP.xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
    However, if the client/server call Google API to check billing status expiryTimeMilis has update

Does anyone get the same problem?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JeffDUnity3D these issues appear much of time. so please check it. thanks

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@datvt2236 Are you seeing this in testing only, or in your Released app also?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

It appears in testing only, we not release yet

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JeffDUnity3D I have same question with this issue.
    What is default mode in GetExtension<IGooglePlayStoreExtensions>().UpgradeDowngradeSubscription?
    thank you

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JeffDUnity Do you have infor about this issue?

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@datvt2236 Are you able to catch the exception in a Try/Catch block? We will check here also.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

it exception from unity iap, so i can't use Try/Catch block

12. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

Hi,

In the last few days I've been having an issue upgrading and downgrading subscriptions on Google Play.
    What I noticed is that when I do the following in the UpgradeDowngrade callback:

IGooglePlayStoreExtensions extensions = _storeExtensionProvider.GetExtension<IGooglePlayStoreExtensions>();

the variable extensions is of type UnityEngine.Purchasing.FakeGooglePlayStoreExtensions.

I'm assuming that this is the problem since it says fake. :D

Thank you in advance.

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you running this on a device? The fake store would be expected in the Unity Editor play mode. And can you elaborate, last few days? It was working previously with no changes made since? Do you get an error?

14. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

I am running this on a device, I saw the class using adb logcat (see attached image).
    Last time that I can be certain that it worked is since out last release on Google Play in February.
    I don't get any errors.

I'm afraid that this might be a bug since Android released their subscription restore feature.

Attached Files:

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So no errors and the user is not seeing any issues and can upgrade and downgrade, so your only concern is the log entry? I suspect I am missing something :)

16. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

Haha, no, I already said I'm having issues upgrading/downgrading the subscription using Unity IAP.

When I call extensions.UpgradeDowngradeSubscription(oldSKU, newSKU); nothing happens, and I'm supposed to get the Google Play window.

I mentioned the name of the class because someone might have it as a lead to solve the problem.

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So it was working correctly previously, and then your released app started to fail? And you didn't update the code?

18. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

What do you mean I didn't update the code? How am I supposed to update a one method call?

Not sure how is this important, but we just noticed that the update fails.. Looks like an issue with Unity IAP code itself, because the same code was working perfectly fine before.

Unity IAP is updated to 1.22.

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I am asking you if you updated your app. Or did your app stop working on its own, without changing any code or submitting a new release ("didn't update the code"). This would imply a possible Google server side issue. You mentioned "worked perfectly fine before", before what? The Google update?

20. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

The code that handles Unity IAP was not updated at all. The implementation worked perfectly fine until we tested it a week ago, and the feature where you can update your subscription does not work any more on Android.

I updated Unity IAP to 1.22 and still the same issue persists. When I debugged the code it works well until I have to excute the following code to initiate the update:

IGooglePlayStoreExtensions extensions = _storeExtensionProvider.GetExtension<IGooglePlayStoreExtensions>();
    extensions.UpgradeDowngradeSubscription(oldSKU, newSKU);

Thanks.

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@IvanTesseract So you are claiming that it worked at one point, but Google changed something at their end and it stopped working. I will test here also.

22. IvanTesseract

IvanTesseract

@JeffDUnity3D yes, it worked well at one point. Thank you very much for your quick replies and your patience.

23. OMatthew

OMatthew

@JeffDUnity3D Hi, I'm pretty confused as to how to use SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription...

I know how to call it based on previously posts in this thread but, even after spending many hours pouring through the IAPDemo example and documentation, I have no idea where/when to call it. Is it instead of InitiatePurchase? Before InitiatePurchase? After InitiatePurchase? In OnPurchaseComplete?

IAPButton only has Events for OnPurchaseComplete and OnPurchaseFailure... Why not also have an Event for something like OnPurchaseBegin (assuming SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription would be called before InitiatePurchase to either fire before the purchase is completed or instead of InitiatePurchase).

My apologies, I'm so confused by this that I don't really know how to word my questions very precisely...

Why is there no example of SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription usage in the IAPDemo.cs script?

Speaking of that script, I assumed I could call SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription in my own PurchaseButtonClick method similar to how IAPDemo works, but that can't be right because that fires on my on UI button as opposed to the default app store UI buttons. In other words, my own UI buttons shouldn't initialize (and therefore complete) the purchase because the app store buttons do that. (Or am I misunderstanding something?) So I'm really confused as to why the IAPDemo script show a custom PurchaseButtonClick method initialing the purchase...

Anyway, any help/guidance you could provide on when/where to successfully call SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription would be really helpful, thanks!

(btw, I'm using Unity IAP v1.22.0)

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

25. OMatthew

OMatthew

@JeffDUnity3D Thanks for the quick reply, but please provide more details if possible (like I mentioned, I've thoroughly looked through this thread and am still confused)...

So are you saying that I don't use IAPButtons? If not I assume I manually call this in my own ClickPurchaseButton method:

m_Controller.InitiatePurchase(m_Controller.products.WithID(productID), "developerPayload");

And if so, when updating a subscription, do I call SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription instead of, before, or after that InititiatePurchase method?

Harrishun likes this.
  26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Already mentioned, you just call it by itself. It has no relation to InitiatePurchase. You call it after IAP initialization. The link I provided has the exact code.

27. OMatthew

OMatthew

Why is there no example in IAPDemo?

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The feature is new. IAPDemo is already def'd bloated.

29. OMatthew

OMatthew

True.

OK, I got it all figured out I think. Everything made a lot more sense once I used IAPListener on my purchase button(s) instead of IAPButton (i.e. "IAP Scripting and not Codeless") and called SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription instead of m_Controller.InitiatePurchase(m_Controller.products.WithID(productID), "developerPayload"); when updating subscriptions.

Thanks again!

30. IceNiceV

IceNiceV

Hi. How can I change the replaceSkusProrationMode to upgrading/downgrading the subscription?

31. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you getting an error with SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription?

32. IceNiceV

IceNiceV

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  33. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

34. IceNiceV

IceNiceV

Hello, what about my question?

35. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No updates yet. If we decide to address this, any update would come in the next release, no ETA at this time.

36. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

I'm really lost with regards to up/downgrading subscriptions. Testing out on Android, nothing happens after calling
    SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription(...) except for it immediately making the callback.

I want to make it possible for the user to toggle between monthly and annual subscriptions. If the monthly is currently subscribed, the annual presents itself as an option and vice versa. I succesfully test-purchased both monthly and annual subs individually but now fail to toggle between these using the SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription method. I have also without success tried various alternatives:
    • SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscriptionInGooglePlayStore(...
    • m_GooglePlayStoreExtensions.UpgradeDowngradeSubscription(...
    This is my code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void BuyAnnualSubscription()
    2.     {
    3.         if (productSubMonthly.Purchased)
    4.         {
    5.             Debug.Log("Monthly already purchased, so upgrading to Annually");
    6.             SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription(m_Controller.products.WithID(kProductNameSubscriptionAnnually), m_Controller.products.WithID(kProductNameSubscriptionMonthly), "accountId", OnSubUpgradedApple, OnSubUpgradedGoogle);
    7. ...
    8. }
    9. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnSubUpgradedGoogle(string arg1, string arg2)
    2.     {
    3.         Debug.Log("arg1: " + arg1 + " arg2: " + arg2);
    4.         productSubAnnually.Purchased = true;
    5.         productSubMonthly.Purchased = false;
    6.         m_PurchaseInProgress = false;
    7.         UpdateSubscriptionUI();
    8.     }

The OnSubUpgradedGoogle is triggered immediately and but nothing happens on screen (should see a Google Play purchase confirmation dialogue I believe). In my log I have:

Initializing UnityPurchasing via Codeless IAP

UnityIAP Version: 1.22.0

Using configuration builder objects

--- [Pressing Monthly Subscription button]

No other subscription, so purchasing Monthly

Purchasing product asychronously: 'x.x.x.sub.monthly'

purchase({0}): x.x.x.sub.monthly

Purchase OK: x.x.x.sub.monthly

Receipt:
    {"Store":"GooglePlay",
    "TransactionID":"GPA.xxxx",
    "Payload":
    "{\"json\":\"{\\\"orderId\\\":\\\"GPA.x\\\",
    \\\"packageName\\\":\\\"x.x.x\\\",
    \\\"productId\\\":\\\"x.x.x.sub.monthly\\\",
    \\\"purchaseTime\\\":1563634760488,
    \\\"purchaseState\\\":0,
    \\\"developerPayload\\\":
    \\\"{\\\\\\\"developerPayload\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"xxx",
    \\\\\\\"is_free_trial\\\\\\\":false,
    \\\\\\\"has_introductory_price_trial\\\\\\\":false,
    \\\\\\\"is_updated\\\\\\\":false,
    \\\\\\\"accountId\\\\\\\":\\\\\\\"fake account id\\\\\\\"}\\\",
    \\\"purchaseToken\\\":\\\"xxx\\\",
    \\\"autoRenewing\\\":true}\",
    \"signature\":\"xxx",
    \"skuDetails\":\"{\\\"skuDetailsToken\\\":\\\"xxx\\\",
    \\\"productId\\\":\\\"x.x.x.sub.monthly\\\",
    \\\"type\\\":\\\"subs\\\",
    \\\"price\\\":\\\"124,99 kr.\\\",\
    \\"price_amount_micros\\\":124990000,
    \\\"price_currency_code\\\":\\\"DKK\\\",
    \\\"subscriptionPeriod\\\":\\\"P1M\\\",
    \\\"freeTrialPeriod\\\":\\\"P1W\\\",
    \\\"introductoryPriceAmountMicros\\\":39990000,
    \\\"introductoryPricePeriod\\\":\\\"P1M\\\",
    \\\"introductoryPrice\\\":\\\"39,99 kr.\\\",
    \\\"introductoryPriceCycles\\\":48,
    \\\"title\\\":\\\"Monthly Subscription\\\",
    \\\"description\\\":\\\"xxx.\\\"}\",
    \"isPurchaseHistorySupported\":true}"}

Receipt is valid. Contents:
    x.x.x.sub.monthly
    07/20/2019 14:59:20
    GPA.xxx
    Purchased
    xxx
    ProcessPurchase: PASS. Product: 'x.x.x.sub.monthly'

--- [Pressing Annual Subscription button]

Monthly already purchased, so upgrading to Annually

arg1: {"productId":"x.x.x.sub.monthly",
    "is_free_trial":"False",
    "is_introductory_price_period":false,
    "remaining_time_in_seconds":2678394.305506}

arg2: x.x.x.sub.yearly

I'm using
    • Unity 2018.3.11f1
    • Unity IAP 1.22.0
    • Unity IAP Package 2.0.6
    • Android 9.0, Pixel 2 XL rooted

37. skrpeta

skrpeta

I have the same problem as the IvanTesseract
    One period upgrade method worked normally, but now when I call it google play panel doesnt show up. I see that app is paused and the music stops. Only thing I can do is press back on mobile phone to return to app.

Cant say I changed something that would stop that method cause buying subcription works normaly. But when I call update subcription it looks like something happens, but nothing shows from google.

IvanTesseract have you had any luck in solving this problem?

EDIT:
    This was a tough nut to crack before I solved it. So get this, if you change CurrentCulture on current thread it wont show google upgrade subscription panel. I changed it to my culture because of sorting an array of names which have different symbols then English alphabet. So if you have this problem as I did than change CurrentCulture to default one:
    Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("en-US");

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  38. rtalerico

rtalerico

This one's driving me crazy... I'm attempting both UpgradeDowngradeSubscription and UpdateSubscription for Google Subscriptions.

When I call UpdateSubscription I receive the message, "The product has not been purchased, a subscription can only be upgrade/downgrade when has already been purchased". Calling UpgradeDowngradeSubscription leaves me with a frozen app - very similar to skrpeta. Unfortunately his fix did not work for me, which leaves me wondering if there's anything else I can do.

I'm trying to make sure this works in a test environment before publishing. The app is on a closed track, and I am purchasing with the test billing. I cannot assume this works without verifying.

Do I have to pass in the product with its receipt when calling UpdateSubscription? If so, that's not going to be possible in every case. I'm only saving the receipt server-side, not the entire product data with it. The receipt field is read-only, so I cannot update a "fake" product including the receipt.

Not sure what else I can do, but any advice would be appreciated! Documentation is next-to-none, and this thread is the only other lifeline I have come across.

IvanTesseract JeffDUnity3D any chance for clarification?

EDIT: It appears to be working all of a sudden.. I changed the developerPayload to an empty string. I can confirm it is now working using the SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription(newProduct, oldProduct, "", AppleStoreCallback, googlePlayCallback);.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Harrishun likes this.
  39. kevintlight

kevintlight

here is the update info and i cann't find the method to get the subscriptions upgrade process in the "Added "
    1. Unity IAP 1.20.1 is now available

1.20.1: Replaces IAP 1.21 as stable release for non-UDP IAP developers. Those requiring UDP support should remain on 1.21.

Developers currently using Unity IAP 1.21 that do not need support for the Unity Distribution Platform (UDP) Beta on Android should transition to this release.

Added
      • Added a callback function that allows developers to check the state of the upgrade/downgrade process of subscriptions on GooglePlay.

40. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I am checking, and will follow up here.

41. Harrishun

Harrishun

So, I also got this issue, but for a far stupider reason. I just had the new product and the old product around the wrong way in UpdateSubscription(). I figured I'd post this here anyway in case someone was searching for potential answers, since this is the ONLY place on Google that this error message appears. I can't guarantee that will be your issue however.

42. game5mobile

game5mobile

Hi I was getting the same exact error with you and I able solved it by decompiling the GooglePlay.aar from Unity IAP to see what's going on in there.

This was the error before I solved it

12-04 12:09:17.379 8905 8905 I UnityIAP: Creating purchase activity

12-04 12:09:17.379 8905 8905 W System.err: org.json.JSONException: Value [My Product ID] of type java.lang.String cannot be converted to JSONObject

12-04 12:09:17.380 8905 8905 W System.err: at org.json.JSON.typeMismatch(JSON.java:112)

12-04 12:09:17.380 8905 8905 W System.err: at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:168)

12-04 12:09:17.380 8905 8905 W System.err: at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:181)

12-04 12:09:17.380 8905 8905 W System.err: at com.unity.purchasing.googleplay.GooglePlayPurchasing.StartSubscriptionUpdate(GooglePlayPurchasing.java:206)

Actually you need to pass the OLD Sku in json format like this: {"productId":"My Product ID"}
    In the end, this is my final code that works:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. storeExtensions.GetExtension<IGooglePlayStoreExtensions>().UpgradeDowngradeSubscription("{\"productId\":\""+oldId+"\"}", newId);
    However, that's using the UpgradeDowngradeSubscription. I have no luck with SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription which did nothing

Edit:
    I can't get it work on iOS due to PurchaseFailureReason.Unknown after called InitiatePurchase (iOS confirmation dialog did appear). SubscriptionManager.UpdateSubscription also did nothing

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  43. michaelkane

michaelkane

Did the PRORATION issue ever get addressed? I also need to adjust the proration mode settings.

Harrishun and Egil-Sandfeld like this.
  44. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

@JeffDUnity3D I'm also interested in this. Upgrading subscriptions is currently working but downgrading causes user to lose the benefits of their current tier since a "purchase" of the lower one is made immediately. I'm just looking for any possible options.

Looking at the proration mode docs located here. It looks this could potentially help me out but I'm not sure.

I'm curious if the setting proration mode to deffered on downgrades would keep the product receipts for previous tiers hanging around until the next billing cycle? Downgrading from Tier 3 to Tier 2 results in the play store only showing the subscription for Tier 2. So unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to query this to get the previous tier unless it's listed.

The work around would be to try and track time difference myself. Unfortunately the default behavior of prorating time means I'd have to query subscription and billing dates to try and figure out when to downgrade access and that could get messy.

45. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are only a pass through for the store API's. But if you downgrade from yearly to monthly for example, wouldn't you expect the yearly rate charged monthly to immediately expire?

46. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

Does that mean I can pass through the proration mode? I don't see an option for it on the UpdateSubscription() method.

My tiers are feature based, all are standard 30 day subscriptions. Tier 1 gives feature A, Tier 2 gives features A and B. Tier 3 gives feature A, B and C etc.

If I purchase Tier 1 I immediately unlock Feature A for 30 days. If I then upgrade to Tier 2 I immediately unlock Feature A and B for 30 days. But if I decide to downgrade from Tier 2 to Tier 1. I immediately purchase Tier 1 which unlocks Feature A but I lose access to feature B. Which would mean I lose out on the features I payed for, for the remaining time left on that subscription. Where as, If I cancel my Netflix or WoW account I still have access for the remaining time left on my account.

So...... Writing this all out made me think perhaps I'm storing this subscription information incorrectly. Currently I just store the tier value as an index with it's corresponding expiration date. 0 = none, 1 = tier 1, 2 = tier 2, 3 = tier 3 and expiration date is date of purchase + 30 days. Which is why this is a problem since purchasing Tier 1 overwrites the subscription index to 1, which unlocks Feature A but not Feature B....

Maybe this is bad form and I should instead not store the tier and store the specific features instead. Then have the subscription purchase unlock each specific feature and set their independent expiration dates. This way if I purchase Tier 2, I get feature A for 30 days and feature B for 30 days. If I downgrade to Tier 1, I get Feature A again for 30 days, but feature B is is not touch, and it's expiration date can run out the clock normally.

47. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I wasn't referring to proration mode, sorry for the confusion. I was just referring to a customer's normal expectation when downgrading from a yearly subscription to monthly for any product.

48. michaelkane

michaelkane

Hey so basically I got upgrades to work with specific prorations by using the Google Billing Library mentioned here

https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/unity

Basically it seems like Google made their own extension to the Unity IAP plugin that adds some additional functionality, and one of the features they added is use of the proration rate.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the link I posted you'll see the proration rate specifically shown.

Harrishun likes this.
  49. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@michaelkane Thanks for the additional information, I have let the team know.

50. Harrishun

Harrishun

Hi Michael, we're also looking at adding proration options on Google Play using this plugin. Just wondering, did you have to change much of your UnityIAP implementation? Currently we are using the standard UnityIAP cross-platform approach for iOS and Android, but since installing the plugin, purchasing has stopped working for us on Google Play. All I've added so far is checking to see whether we need to route the user to upgrade/downgrade a subscription, rather than changing the overall purchasing flow.

Admittedly haven't done a huge amount of debugging yet, but thought I might reach out before I go the nuclear "add logs everywhere" approach.

EDIT: Figured out that parts of my implementation were still tied to SubscriptionManager, which is made completely obsolete by the Google Play Billing plugin. Frustratingly it wasn't providing me any actual error messages.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020