Search Unity

Question Google Pixel flipping video cinematics

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by moesavari, May 14, 2020.

1. moesavari

moesavari

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting here so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. My team and I have been creating several Unity mobile games but we've come across an issue where the cinematics being played on a Google Pixel (3a model in this case) is flipping the video player upside down and makes the text right to left. Everything else works just fine. Any other phone we try it on has the cinematic perfectly fine as well. Is there anything that we can do to fix it or is this a known issue? The links below show the issue with two separate games.

https://imgur.com/d38eBnm

https://imgur.com/M5txfQH

Thanks!

2. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Various Android devices employ different conventions for video decoding line ordering, and Unity's job is to make this transparent to the end user... It's obviously failing in here, so either it's a device-specific problem that we'll work around in our code, or there's something we're not looking at correctly in our attempt at making things right (which do work on other devices, as you've seen).

So please submit a bug with just one of your media files playing back into the main camera (or some similar simple scene) so we can address this problem. In the mean time, you can obviously (but annoyingly I admit) detect what model is being used and flip the texture yourself until we put out a fix.

One interesting data point would be to know if this happens with all graphics APIs (GLES2, GLES3, Vulkan). Also make sure to use the latest Unity version (or at least let us know what version you are using, in case a fix exists).

Sorry about this and thanks for letting us know!

Dominique

3. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

moesavari likes this.
  4. moesavari

moesavari

Hi Dominique,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got to see this. Thank you for clarifying! We are currently using 2019.3.5f1 and have only been having this issue with the Google Pixel 3a. The rest of us have different Android devices (Sony, Samsung) and are not experiencing this problem. We aren't able to update our Unity version as we are trying to minimize any changes we may have to make after updating each iteration. But if 7f1 is a fix for this problem then we will have to push for that.

Would you still like me to submit a bug for the issue?

5. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi!

If you can make a quick test with a version of 2019.3 that has the fix (i.e. >= 2019.3.7f1) and you can still reproduce the problem, then yes, please submit a bug if possible!

Thanks,

Dominique

6. moesavari

moesavari

Hello Dominique,

We had been able to upgrade to 7f1 and do a test. The issue has been resolved thanks to 7f1! Thank you for your help. :)

Moe

7. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

My pleasure, good to hear!

Dominique