Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Maps Platform for Gaming... how to get it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by viesc123, Jun 28, 2018.

1. viesc123

viesc123

So, Google has announced it is opening its Maps Platform for games, has produced some juicy videos and an integration for Unity. But getting access to this feature is proving difficult. I'd be interested if somebody has managed to get their fingers on the Unity integration and is willing to share their experience.

Here's what I tried so far:
    https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/gaming/
    When you visit the page above for the gaming SDK, you get two buttons: "Contact Sales" and "Get Started"..

"Get Started" takes you to the regular Maps / Google Cloud registration. You enter you credit card information and get a trial of the regular Android, iOS etc APIs for Google Maps. No access to the Unity SDK or gaming features there.

So it's "Contact Sales". You enter your contact details and a friendly person from Google calls you. They ask you about the project you want to realize and then tell you that the gaming features are experimental and that they are not yet ready to give them out freely. They give you a list of so called "Google Partner" companies that have some sort of special access to the Google Cloud products and tell you to contact them instead:
    https://cloud.withgoogle.com/partners/?products=MAPS

This is where I'm at now. There are some Google Partner companies in my area, but they don't look like they have a lot of experience with either games or Unity. I guess consulting them will cost me and likely not get me closer to access to the Unity SDK. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Has anybody else tried to get access to these tools and had success? What do you recommend? Does it make sense to apply for instance for the Google Partner program? Or does it really help to contact a Google Partner?

I'm not ready to give up yet ;)

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

It's not really for small devs or companies at this point so you would have to have a proven track record, promising project and publisher between you and Google to even have a chance.

3. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Meanwhile you could use GO Map =)

However I hope that Google will open a raw PBF data API too at a certain point. That would be great.

Bye
    Alan