Search Unity

Google Earth 3D details, how? Anything alike for unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gibbonuk, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

I own and use many terrain plugins, such as terraincomposer, worldcomposer and RTP however, they all rely on 3D model placment of trees, walls and rocks ETC.

I would love to be able to do what google earth does and pull 3D data from the terrain for such things as dense forests. (see the attached image) Is there any way this could be done, or any know how its done?

Untitled-3.png

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photogrammetry_software

There are programs that allow generation of 3d data from multiple images. You can theoretically create this kind of image by flying a drone (or better - a plane) over area and photographing it, then running software over it.

Before you get all excited, keep in mind that this is incredibly storage/computationally epxensive and processing data may take hours if not days, and results may be very far from perfect, plus you need expensive gear for it. There are also issues with rights to objects you photographed...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  3. mgear

mgear

Ryiah likes this.
  4. MV10

MV10

Might be OK for flyovers, but the other issue is that it's pretty low-quality up-close. Home sweet home (and even this is more or less flyover altitude):

1.jpg

Martin_H likes this.
  5. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Is... is that your home?

Martin_H likes this.
  6. MV10

MV10

lol... yeah. Designed it myself. :)
    (The yard was recovering from the pool install when Google took those pix.)

1.jpg

DBarlok, Dave-Carlile and Martin_H like this.
  7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Speaking of which, I believe it is possible to legally extract terrain elevation mesh using google sketchup. Or at least it was used to be possible. The info should be on youtube somewhere.

8. Arowx

Arowx

Won't google be using LiDAR point cloud data to generate it's terrain?

The data you are seeing in Google 3D is very low quality when you see the accuracy of LiDAR point cloud data for a street.

I though anyone working on automatic cars was gathering LiDAR data for roads and terrain.

Great looking example of sampling point cloud data and using your head!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    BlueprintZ likes this.
  9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Hard to tell. Google relies on satellites for google earth, and lidar seem to be designed to use a plane? Not sure.

Either way.

This it tokyo on google maps. You know, running in a browser
    tokyo1.jpg
    tokyo2.jpg

This is automatically recconstructed model of the city, probably based off some of the technologies I saw on youtube when I was looking into photogrammetry.

//there was a much more impressive video, but I can' find it.

Aaand, of course you can't use any of it. You can't access the data, and if you could, using it would be against google's tos.

10. Arowx

Arowx

This looks like google car captured LiDAR, note how tops and corners of buildings lose detail, if it was a plane or drone based LiDAR the tops of buildings would be high detail with loss of detail in shadowed areas.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

If you're speaking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar

I.e. laser-based scaning, I think you're probably wrong. I think this is an image-based reconstruction.

Something along the lines of:

Besides I don't think that a google car would be allowed to drive in circles in that park. Or on that stadium. Also, roofs have geometry and textures on them.

12. MV10

MV10

neginfinity likes this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

14. MV10

MV10

lol... that's even better. My first thought when I saw this stuff was that everything looks melted.

15. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Thanks for all the info , ive done a lot of looking into this and it seems its its obviously not really something that can be done yet in unity.

As im not interested in buildings or "close" quality, do you think this effect could be achieved using some sort of tessellation shader?

What I am trying to do is get forest areas and tree lines to be like the above photo (first post)

Thanks

16. Arowx

Arowx

What about Map Box?

PS Maybe a Voxel based terrain shader could best morph the terrain in a treelike way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017