Search Unity

Google Daydream Controller pointer Begins following head tracking ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jjennings1990, Jun 6, 2017.

1. jjennings1990

jjennings1990

Screenshot of Issue :

controller Pointer bug.png

Hi everybody I am having an issue with the GVR SDK 1.5 ( and I've seen it in other versions as well) where the Controller pointer reticle gets locked to the VR users head tracking .

In the past I have usually found this is the source or a graphic raycaster or some other component blocking the reticle but I am not able to see where that might be happening in my current scene project.

Currently when I launch the app everything is fine , I can point the controller all around the scene and interact with the various UI elements . It seems to happen though that when I leave the main two scenes and asynchronously load into a new scene the reticle which was previously moving freely and in relation to the controllers orientation itself now is locked to the users head tracking . I'll attach a picture to demonstrate what I'm seeing . I set the FollowGaze enum of GVR arm model to never but that didn't seem to help . Is there anything else that I might be missing in my setup ? The last time I fixed this issue I fixed it but I don't recall exactly which step fixed it .

I read it may be an error where the pointer was referencing something in a previous scene but when changing scenes the reference becomes null and breaks the controller. Any and all insight is appreciated.

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Does it also happen in the editor, when using a mobile phone for the controller? If so it's probably easiest to debug in editor then you'd be able to set a breakpoint to see what is going on.

jjennings1990 likes this.
  3. jjennings1990

jjennings1990

Thank you I had some trouble configuring the emulator with the unity editor but sorted out . I was able to replicate the same issues in the editor and just as surprisingly as last time after trying and reproducing the issue several times all of a sudden it started working . It really makes no sense and I'd love to know WHY but for now it seems to work . Thank you for your help !

4. jjennings1990

jjennings1990

Just in case anyone else encounters this issue in the future I did manage to solve and find the reason behind it . It just so happened that some images used in my project were enabled as raycast targets and since they basically are the very first objects I believe the cursor interacts with upon scene loading it was essentially getting " stuck" to these image objects. no matter where I point my laser to . So the laser / raycast I stuck to the image itself ( the image happened to be attached to my main camera which is why it seemed like the laser cursor was following my head tracking )

II fixed it by just setting the raycast target properties to false in the inspector.

5. expressionpixel

expressionpixel

I also had this happen to me, I temporarily placed an object with a sphere collider with the same position as the controller/camera, the controller and pointer kept pointing straight up. For future advice, if you don't know why your controller is behaving abnormally, click on the GvrEventSystem gameObject, the GvrPointerInputModule/Event System will report what your object is hitting with the raycast.

jjennings1990 likes this.