Search Unity

Google Cloud Platform - Google Maps SDK

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by lab_developer, Jan 22, 2019.

1. lab_developer

lab_developer

Hello Everyone,

I am a computer science student and I am working on an Augmented Reality app project dealing with geolocating and georeferencing objects in AR (very much like “Jurrasic World Alive” and “Pokemon Go”). I was going to develop it using the Mapbox AR Unity kit, but then decided to go with the Google Maps SDK after realizing the success of game applications like “Jurrasic World Alive” which were made using the Google Maps SDK. I received access to Google Maps APIs but I do not know how to start integrating the APIs into Unity. Do you know how I can go about integrating Google Maps into Unity?

2. peter-motive

peter-motive

Hi @lab_developer ,

Mapbox is a good choice.

Unless something has changed recently, you need to be a medium or large game studio with rights to a major IP (ex. Jurassic World, Walking Dead) to get access to the Google Maps Unity SDK.

HTH

3. dmennenoh

dmennenoh

I think it must've changed recently then. All you need to do is ask them to evaluate and they will give you access to the SDK. Not sure why it's not just open for use, but all I did was email and ask to check it out and they said fine.

4. Adarshorganic

Adarshorganic

@dmennenoh Please can you tell us on which E-mail address you used to contact google? I tried filling up a form and submitted it, but they haven't responded yet and it's been more that 3 days.

5. dmennenoh

dmennenoh

Adarshorganic likes this.
  6. Adarshorganic

Adarshorganic