Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Cardboard tracking problem

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Berlingames, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Berlingames

Berlingames

Hey,

Yesterday I start my first VR project for Google Cardboard but my Smartphone make some problems.

The Headtracking only react once when I start the game, but after that it stops. Every other VR Cardboard Game from the Playstore work on my Smartphone without any problem. On an Samsung Smartphone my game work perfectly.

Have someone an idea how to fix that problem?

My Smartphone: Mlais M7

2. Retruate

Retruate

So, the head-tracking starts, and then stops?

Have you tried running the Cardboard demo project? Are you running into any errors?

3. Berlingames

Berlingames

Jep, the head-tracking starts and then it stops :-(

I also run the demo project, but there is the same bug and I get no error message.

So I found out that my smartphone has no gyroscope. Did anyone have an solution how to run a cardboard app without gyroscope?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. Retruate

Retruate

Are you getting any head-tracking at all? If you are, I think that means it's detecting some movement.

I checked also and, yes, the Mlais M7 has no gyroscope. That's kind of odd, since the phone seems very updated. I don't think you can run Cardboard apps properly without a gyroscope, but I'm not sure. I don't see how you could though.

You might just need a different phone. I've heard Nexus devices are good for developers, but I don't have one.

5. Berlingames

Berlingames

Yeah, for me I integrate a Gamecontroller to control the headmovement. Its not the best solution, but it works :). My next Smartphone will be a Samsung Galaxy S6 :D.

Thanks for your help.

6. Retruate

Retruate

That's cool! How do you do that? I have the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's older, and not as good for development. But I do admit, it's high quality. I like Samsung products. I just think I'd prefer Nexus devices because they are the "pure" Google experience; and I love everything Google. Also, I'm doing some Android Studio development and Nexus devices should be good for that also.

No problem. I hope you enjoy your new phone once you get it!