Search Unity

Google Cardboard - Left and right images for better 3D depths?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by felixwcf, Mar 31, 2015.

1. felixwcf

felixwcf

Hi, is it possible to use Google Cardboard SDK for Unity to display two different 3D panorama images in left/right camera respectively?

Now I have left and right 3D spherical panorama interior layouts (in png format), and I want each eye to view each left and right images respectively, to give better 3D depth of the layouts.

I'm using Skybox Material in Render Settings, but the problem is I can just have one Skybox at one scene.

Any idea on how to view two Skybox materials in two (left and right) cameras in one scene?

Thank you.

2. mfleurent

mfleurent

hi,

replace the skybox by two spheres with each panorama and use layers to render only the good one for each camera ?

here an interesting link about stereo video, so should work with panorama
    http://bernieroehl.com/360stereoinunity/

hope it help

Daoqi likes this.
  3. JDMulti

JDMulti

It's possible to have 2 different panorama shots ( both shot with 6.4 distance of each other ) and view with Google Cardboard. However I must admit that the Oculus Rift or Samsung Gear VR have a nicer headset to look trough then the cardboard. And as mfleurent said, use two mesh spheres with flipped faces and have both a material with your panorama on it. Make sure each sphere is centered with your camera and you can swap panorama's by changing the material texture.

Daoqi likes this.
  4. felixwcf

felixwcf

After studying about side-by-side stereoscopic, and sources from Internet, finally I have a conclusion.

I don't have to create two skyspheres (left and right respectively) and apply inside-out shader to their applied textures.
    Besides, applying the panorama textures into the sphere is giving me handicapped result, which is I need to have a very high resolution of texture(in my case max size 4096) to be displayed clearly, and some texture distortions occur in the skysphere.

(The web-virtual-interior vendor that gave me the extra left and right panorama images confuses me).

Google Cardboard SDK for Unity is actually doing the work of what I'm seeking.
    What I need is just a single piece of panorama image, and apply it into skybox.

Turn on VR mode Enabled in Cardboard.cs as attached to the CardboardMain gameObject.
    The Unity Cardboard scripts are basically turn the stereo camera into adjusted FOV for both left and right cameras (human eyes) to have the VR effect.

Useful DIY side-by-side stereoscopic view tutorial:
    http://bernieroehl.com/360stereoinunity/ (Thanks to @mfleurent)

Job's done.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    mfleurent likes this.
  5. JDMulti

JDMulti

You won't have a 3D effect without a 2nd 360 panorama with an offset compared to the first panorama. I does the job to see a fulldome 360 foto, but it really doesn't create a 3d effect, because the depth information is missing as there is no 2nd image with a little offset. But if a mono solition works for you, the job is done.

If you really want a 3d feeling of being on the place itself, you need 2 images of which 1 has a 6.5cm offset from the point of where the picture is shot. Once you see the difference, you'll notice it clearly.

6. SAOTA

SAOTA

but, when you look sideways or backwards your eyes are now reversed or the stereo effect is missing.

7. Thirukumaran

Thirukumaran

Hi,

But isnt the depth feeling missing as you dont have a second image with an offset?

8. felixwcf

felixwcf

Well, by using stereoscopic panorama image + Unity Cardboard is to allow you to have the virtual experience, to let you feel that you're "standing" inside the room. I'm not so sured your meaning of "depth feeling", but so far my experience with the project mentioned above, I do not have the feeling of looking at the "flat" image when I'm using the goggles, unless you're using the wrong type of panorama image and technique to achieve VR stereoscopic view.

If you want to have real depth feeling, I think what you asked is using 3D objects, instead of stereoscopic 360-degree panorama image, inside your game scene.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  9. jocoventos

jocoventos

Hi everyone. If you are looking for graphic designs, 3D images and photoshop photos that would be useful to you, visit https://www.coventos.com, sign up, and use the code joy95 to get some photos for free. Just please do not forget to spread this word with your other friends through making posts about it.

10. shakhruz

shakhruz

nice place! I did not find a place to put joy95 code though. But some freebies and pretty cool. Thank you!
    There are not just photos, but rigged models as well!

11. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Yes, exactly. For preparing truly stereoscopic 360 panorama (two 360 pics for depth effect) read this:
    http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/stereopanoramic/

(Edit: You can use newest Terragen- rendering to two stereoscopic 360 images)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  12. SAOTA

SAOTA

There are already unity assets that do this. If i remember i'll come back with links.
    Thanks for posting, I can never remember that link when trying to explain the issues to others.